Remove SIM card before selling? What else do I need to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sofakng, Jul 6, 2009.

1. sofakng macrumors regular

I'm selling my old iPhone 3G (16GB, Black) and I'm wondering if I need to remove the SIM card before selling it.

Also, how do I wipe the device completely clean?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To wipe it go to (on the phone) settings -> general-> reset (last option at the bottom of the screen) and select reset all settings.

Make sure its plugged in because it could take a very long time and you may run out of juice.

3. sofakng thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thanks for the reply.

That will erase all of my contacts, songs, etc, etc? I've heard that people can still recover this data but it's rare. Is there a more secure method to overwriting everything?

Also, I'm still wondering about the SIM card...

Thanks!!

4. BlownJetta macrumors member

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

The Apple "Erase All Content and Settings.” will cover 99.999% of the customer base but if you are really paranoid here are a couple of links to a long way to do multiple overwites of the iPhone.

Secure Erase:
    http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13415_53-9962462-11.html?tag=rtcol;relnews
    http://www.zdziarski.com/papers/passcode.html

Also, I will second the suggestion to remove your SIM, it can't be reused so there is no need to leave it in the iPhone. No GSM carrier will allow a SIM to be reused. While the iPhone makes no use of the SIM for any contact information storage or anything else, it is just a good practice to remove it and destroy if you are not going to keep it active and reuse it in another phone.

Dave

6. sofakng thread starter macrumors regular

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010