Remove Skype Home

Coltaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
The new Skype version has an annoying Skype Home button in the left menu bar. There seem to be solutions to remove it for Windows, but non for OS X Lion, as far as I can see.

Does anyone know, how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't know how to remove it, but I'd suggest getting an older version of Skype. I still use v2.8 where the interface is still minimalistic.

http://mac.oldapps.com/skype.php

Coltaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Indeed a good idea.

Are there any problems with connecting to the Skype network with the older versions?

I remember ICQ quit working in older versions, if you waited too long with the upgrade.

Thanks!

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
I just updated to the latest Skype version yesterday and came across the Home button annoyance. I downgraded back to my previous version via Time Machine since v5.5 doesn't seem to have any must-have features that I care about. In my case, the old version is 5.3.0.1093 and doesn't have a Home button.

And similarly for my iPad, I have avoided updating to Skype v3.6.1 because the only feature it said it is adding is banner ads. No thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.