Remove Skype Home

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Coltaine, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

The new Skype version has an annoying Skype Home button in the left menu bar. There seem to be solutions to remove it for Windows, but non for OS X Lion, as far as I can see.

Does anyone know, how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't know how to remove it, but I'd suggest getting an older version of Skype. I still use v2.8 where the interface is still minimalistic.

http://mac.oldapps.com/skype.php

3. Coltaine thread starter macrumors regular

Coltaine

Indeed a good idea.

Are there any problems with connecting to the Skype network with the older versions?

I remember ICQ quit working in older versions, if you waited too long with the upgrade.

Thanks!

4. jw2002 macrumors 6502

I just updated to the latest Skype version yesterday and came across the Home button annoyance. I downgraded back to my previous version via Time Machine since v5.5 doesn't seem to have any must-have features that I care about. In my case, the old version is 5.3.0.1093 and doesn't have a Home button.

And similarly for my iPad, I have avoided updating to Skype v3.6.1 because the only feature it said it is adding is banner ads. No thanks!