Remove SSD before AppleStore Visit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stella, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Hi

In my Macbook Pro I replaced the hard disk with an SSD - which is working fine. I need to take my Macbook Pro in to AppleStore for inspection - it probably needs repairing.

Would you recommend putting back the original hard disk? Would the Geniuses get funny about the fact that replaced the original hard disc?

Thanks

2. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

They might do, and claim it voids your warranty. However, even if you put the old HDD back in, they might be able to tell it has been "tampered" with. Depending on whether or not your Mac may need to be replaced, I would suggest you use your discretion. I myself would probably put the old disk back in, and hope they don't care, as in the case that they will offer you a replacement, you might lose your disk; they may not allow you to take it out.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... if you still have the old drive, I would put it back in there just to avoid any issues with them saying your SSD is causing the problem.

4. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Thanks for the replies.
    The problem is, I suspect is the Macbook Pro 2011 GPU issue. Horizontal lines across the screen.

( Going to "Check your coverage" and entering in my serial number doesn't mention my machine is covered - despite being purchased well inside the time frame - that being March 2011).
    https://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

5. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I had the same issue and my early 2011 MBP wasn't listed either. Mine will cost $310 to be repaired. However, it has gotten to the point that it won't even start anymore.

As a side note, I had an SSD in the optical drive slot. They had me take it home and remove it before sending it off. If I were you, I would go ahead and exchange out the SSD for the the original drive.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I would put the original drive back in (its a 5min job), just to avoid the Geniuses <maybe> doing the same and risking them messing something up. Whether they tell you have changed/moved the drive is irrelevant, its a consumer-changeable part...

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The HDD and RAM are considered user replaceable parts in MacBook Pros. They can't void the warranty for that.

9. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Thanks - I'll probably take my drive out - easier to do that than the hassles otherwise.

Was yours a 15" MBP 2011? The 12" didn't suffer the same faults because it only has the integrated graphics. I'm quite concerned that the geniuses will not know about the recall or refuse to acknowledge it is the GPU fault.

10. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Yes, it is a 15inch early 2011 MBP. I looked it up using the tool on the MBP and also put my serial # in the website you linked and they said it wasn't eligibie to be repaired. I am not sure that the Apple geniuses have any tools outside that process to find coverage of repairs.

If you find out something different, let me know. I think my computer will be back on Monday. I can always argue with them if it is supposed to be covered and their website is wrong.

I want to mention that they didn't make an issue about me using the SSD. He just said it would be safer to go ahead and remove it before they sent it in for repairs.

11. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

I took the Laptop in to an Apple Store over this weekend ( with SSD removed ) Described the symptoms etc.

They ran the VST and failed almost immediately. It qualifies for the recall program and therefore will be fixed free:). Otherwise it would have cost between $600 to $700 to get it fixed. Ouch. So a good outcome.

12. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Congrats!

13. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

Not all staff might know/agree with this though, and say otherwise. You are right however.

14. XxHOVESKOxX macrumors newbie

I was in the same boat as you. My early 2011 15inch MPB gave out last week. Me thinking it was the HDD finally giving out I replaced it with a SSD. But when booting up it gave me flashing question mark folder or just a blue screen. (Which reminded me of the Windows Blue screen of death lol) Then I thought my SATA cable gave out, so I ran the Apple Hardware test but found no errors. Tried booting OS X Yosemite from a USB stick and still nothing. So after countless hours spent trying to figure out what the problem was :mad: I decided to finally give in and take it in to the Apple store. Turns out my MBP actually had video problems, distorted lines across the screen. The genius ran his own test and sure enough it failed the video test. He told me that even though my coverage expired, my MBP was one of the ones affected with a faulty GPU and that the logic board would need to be replaced. He also told me the repair would be free of charge and that he was even gonna try to get them to replace my faulty battery for free. (Which saved me $310) :D
    Which makes it odd why your unit wasn't covered if you have the same model as I do? Do you remember on what month did you purchase yours? Try to fight it and get your money back. :)

15. Uofmtiger, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I called AppleCare on Sunday. I got shifted around departments, had a phone call drop (they had my number in case it dropped, but never called me back), and finally got ahold of a Senior Supervisor. He said he would send me a check for $310. I will update this post when I actually get it. There seemed to be some confusion on their part about how to refund the money, so I am adopting a "wait and see" stance.

Just an update: I got the check last night. The supervisor wasn't sure he could refund taxes, but it had the taxes included in the check, so I got all of my money returned. I got the SSD back in the MBP and everything is running like new (or better since it didn't have an SSD when new).