Remove the dock in 10.6???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eleven7, Feb 15, 2011.

1. eleven7 macrumors regular

Is there really no way to completely remove the dock in OS X 10.6??

I've had a quick look around online but all I could find was discussions of people arguing about why anyone would ever want to remove Apple's precious dock. Either that or old hacks that only work pre 10.5.

I have no problem with dock, I just need to get rid of it temporarily and as soon as possible. Does anyone know of a solution? :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why do you want to get rid of it? You can easily hide it, but getting rid of it isn't something I'd recommend, even if you could do it. I can't count the number of threads posted here where someone has screwed up their Mac by screwing around with the Dock, icons, or other built-in components of Mac OS X. Then they panic and post here, saying they can't boot or nothing launches or they have other problems. Not a wise move.

3. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to disable it permanently - I use it all the time.

Problem is that I've just finished writing a game which I'm currently testing. It's for a classroom environment so it's always displayed on either a large TV or a projector and input is controlled via wii remote.

At first I just thought hiding the dock would be OK, but whenever a player moves the pointer to the bottom of the screen the dock appears, and when it does the users are sometimes accidentally clicking on icons and opening applications.

Thanks to this I'm guessing I'm not going to be able to run it as a windowed application and will change that later, but for now I would at least like to stop the users from being able to see my dock and opening applications while testing :)

4. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Create a new user and remove all applications from the dock. I guess it will still have Finder though.