Remove Title Bar in Firefox 4 for Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djxpress, Mar 23, 2011.

1. djxpress macrumors member

Is there a way to remove the title bar in Firefox 4 on OS X? With the default "tabs on top" setting, there is a redundancy and no need for the title bar. Plus it takes up valuable screen space. Kind of the same way that it's removed in Chrome.

I posted this in the Mozilla forum as well.

2. Procoralan, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

Procoralan macrumors newbie

In general it must be possible (Chrome makes it, a Safari Beta made it - see attached pic - and iTunes has a totally new titlebar), but i couldn't find a mod so far. If anyone has a solution so kindly let us know... It cannot be that ff looks on a pc greater than on a mac! ;)

[​IMG]

3. soarous macrumors newbie

I'd love to know how to do this too, that useless title bar is taking up many pixels on my 11inch air!

4. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

on my work pc this can be done by right clicking on the top and unchecking the menu bar option. perhaps there is a variation of this that needs to be done in OSX.

5. Procoralan macrumors newbie

Yes, there is no problem with pcs and FF4, but in Mac OS it doesn't work.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

It's still a bit gimpy under windows. You have to click on the menu bar to get the popup that lets you remove the menu bar. Once it's gone, you have to find a "bare spot" next to the tab bar so you can click to bring it back. Clicking on the title bar doesn't work. I discovered the "tabs on top" option but I've used Chrome long enough I got used to them on top so I leave 'em there. Oh well.

7. iVoid macrumors 65816

8. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Not liking FF4... it's the most pretentious design I've seen in a web browser since Netscape 4.

Luckily there are several alternatives.

9. DisMyMac, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

How does moving tabs "allow me to focus" on web browsing? Focusing is the opposite of multi-tasking, which is the whole point of having tabs.

The URL- oh sorry.... the "AwesomeBar" is just as distracting as the tabs were(n't). My coffee mug is just as distracting.

Even the navigation buttons are now scattered into 3 different areas. It's worse than I ever imagined!

10. dyn macrumors 68030

Safari 4 beta, it was removed in another beta version luckily. Why? Because it didn't work. You can drag tabs around, move positions, create a new window, etc. That functionality interferes with using the title bar to drag the entire window around. Some people dragged around the window while they wanted to drag around the tab; others had the opposite effect. You need a separate title bar for dragging the window and a separate tab bar for dragging around tabs. Try dragging Twitter for Mac around... iTunes on the other hand has the advantage of that huge area on top, that makes dragging that window around quite easy. Not every app will have something like this thus causing problems.

No title bar is just a bad idea, it simply doesn't work. In a drag 'n drop environment (like OS X) this will be the most worse (which is why it kinda works in Windows, it doesn't do drag 'n drop everywhere).

11. Procoralan, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

Procoralan macrumors newbie

I think a compromise like Google's Chrome for Mac OS would be fine.

[​IMG]

12. Duardo macrumors member

Do want

I'd love to remove that title bar. I don't see why Mac has it and Windows doesn't.

13. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Only recently got a MacBook Pro. Installed Firefox 4 and the startup time is god awful - around 10 seconds before it's usable. Anyone else with that? It's got much faster on Windows. I'm guessing they got a bit lazy when it came to the Mac?

14. marc11 macrumors 68000

In Windows you his F11 and it makes the title and menu bar scroll up into full screen mode, not exactly what you want... not sure about OS X haven't tried it yet.

15. Modernape macrumors regular

I just go full screen - but keep the nav bar and tabs in view while doing that, like this - type about:config into the address bar, then browser.fullscreen.autohide in the filter, double click it to set the value to false. No OSX menu bar, no FF title bar.

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I hate the tabs in the title bars and I'm glad Safari hasn't gone that way yet (though it nearly did.)

17. Modernape macrumors regular

Not here, it starts up in under a second, whereas FF3.6 would be about 3 seconds.

18. soarous macrumors newbie

Still no workaround for this, or a stylish script? I'm surprised.

19. ivnj, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011

ivnj macrumors 65816

I actually like the bar and use it all the time. But if you must I will look and see what I can find.

Found the solution. Totally works.

http://lifehacker.com/#!5280456/hide-your-mac-menu-bar-and-dock-for-a-cleaner-desktop

The hardest part was getting plist to open. Goto optional installs folder for snow leopard disc. Double click on xcode. Install it. Restart machine and go to macintosh hd. Open developer folder and then applications and then utilities. Plist editor is free and is there.

Forgot to mention that also hides the dock. But my window won't stretch all the way down for some reason. But I like it because when I hover over the top the menu comes back and goes away when I move my cursor back down.

20. ivnj, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011

ivnj macrumors 65816

Full screen?

Ok so I removed the title bar and dock from view when in firefox.

But now it won't let me stretch the window all the way to the bottom. Why? If the dock is missing why does it still stop halfway as if there was a dock?

21. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I don't know why, but if I did, that would not help you to "fix" it. That's the way it is. You can't change it. Others have asked the same question. I've given you the answer.

22. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Mozilla is working on it, expect a resolution very soon.

23. djxpress thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to FF4, I started using Chrome. What a difference, no more laggy flash videos and scroll due to xmarks and lastpass addons!

24. dyn macrumors 68030

But with the title bar you wanted to get rid off...

25. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Careful. When FF 3.6 crashed and sent me running to Chrome, I found that there were half a dozen sites I use all the time that never worked right. I went back to FF 4 and found they work fine now. I doubt I will use Chrome again unless FF 4 starts crashing on me all the time. The most important add on for FF 4 is flashblock. Once I loaded flashblock, my computer was usable again.