Remove *Unactivated* Sim from 3G iPad[2] Before Selling or Returning?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoelMarcey, Mar 18, 2011.

1. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I know if you have activated your sim card in a 3G iPad/iPad2, you should remove it before selling to be safe.

But what about an unactivated sim card? Do you still need to remove it? For example, if you bought a 3G iPad 2 but never activated the data plan, and decided to sell it or return it ... do you remove the sim card first before doing so?

Just curious.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you are on AT&T then, no. Even if you have used the 3G service, but no longer, you can leave the SIM in the iPad.

3. iPimpin macrumors newbie

Say I buy that iPad... How do I activate it? With the used sim:confused:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

On AT&T the SIM is only used on a monthly basis and are not activated like ordinary cell phone SIM cards. You use the SIM to get your 3G in May, don't use it in June, sell it in July, then the buyer uses his/her credit card to use the 3G and the iPad's original SIM in August. Doing so the buyer will not be able to get at any of your personal information, because they have to login using an email address and password.

5. iPimpin macrumors newbie

I can't even get past the log in screen. It asks for email and password

6. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Thanks. Sounds like it is fine. When I sold my 3GS, I did remove the much used SIM, even though I was AT&T. Just a safety precaution.

7. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

that means whoever previous owned the ipad didn't erase the sim setting before selling it to you. when i returned mine to Best Buy, i canceled my data subscription from the ipad and right after that there should be something like "clear sim setting" or "forget current sim setting" something like that, i chose it and it wiped everything clean. just to tested it out i pretended i was a new user and want to subscribe data plan again, instead of asking me for username password, it displayed the initial page where you enter your personal and credit card info as well as which data plan you want to choose.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There should be a thing that says new user or create a new account. My friend's pre-owned iPad through AT&T had to do this.

On mobile phones, the seller should always keep the SIM card. But on AT&T iPads, the SIM should be sold as well.

9. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

yep, Best Buy wouldn't take it back with the sim card.

10. green94 macrumors regular

About to sell my iPad 2 and I'm in the same boat - have a 3G iPad and have never activated the 3G service.

Want to triple check and make sure that selling it with the SIM card is ok?

Do I still need to "clear SIM setting" or "forget sim settings" even though it was never used?

Thanks in advance!