remove unwanted downloads in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andiwm2003, May 11, 2013.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I hate itunes!

It seems I don't get the basic concept of iTunes and iCloud. Probably I'm stupid and old fashioned.

iTunes keeps automatically downloading stuff from the iTunes store (TV shows, iTunes extras, Movies) that I bought (in some cases years ago). Sometimes iTunes asks me to sign in and then it automatically downloads stuff, sometimes I download a movie and iTunes keeps downloading stuff in my download queue without asking.

I don't get it. I don't want useless crap on my computer!

How do I change the setting in iTunes so that iTunes never downloads anything unless I tell it to download this ONE file and nothing else?

Here is what I want:
    I want on a individual file basis to decide to download or stream a movie or a TV show.
    I never want an automatic download of extras, I don't want to use iCloud as default. I want to buy or rent and then download or stream depending if I want to watch with good internet or on the go.

Also how can I delete files in iTunes when I decide I don't want them anymore?

Why is this so complicated in iTunes. And why does iTune keep downloading HD versions of TV shows that I already watched on SD 3 years ago?

2. kadeschs macrumors regular

I feel your pain. Believe me you're not stupid. I've said repeatedly from day one that iTunes is one of the worst pieces of software. I'm glad even Apple finally decided to somewhat cut the umbilical cord. It was originally designed to play music. That is probably the only thing that it does marginally well.

I have yet to understand why that when I fire up iTunes that it insists on downloading every piece of software that I previously uninstalled from my devices even though I've unchecked the automatic downloading of app updates in its preferences. Deleting all of the those downloads from the download queue doesn't work either as restarting iTunes causes it to repopulate it with the same garbage again. I don't want stuff that I've previously uninstalled mixed in with stuff that I really do want. I just firewalled it so it can't communicate with the outside world. :mad: