Remove video recording time limit?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Daremo, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

No answer in the iPod forum, so I figured more people might read it here since the iPhone has the same issue.

Does anyone know if there is a way to remove the 4GB / 49:51 minute video recording cap? I used Greenpois0n to jailbreak, even though that likely makes no difference. I thought maybe there was something I could install through Cydia to remove the cap.

Or a suggestion of a HD video recorder app that has no limit?

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

I had no idea this even existed. Maybe you could ask a dev like chpwn to do this?

Why on earth do you need this o.o?

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Can the iDevices even address files larger than 4GB? That's most likely a hardware limit.

4. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

We film a podcast from several angles, and they usually run over an hour, and using the cameras on the iPod and iPhone works really well with a well lit room, but it stops at 49:51 / 4GB. Since it's the only cameras available to us in HD at the moment, they do the job well, but they stop running early. We have to stop, and re-start all the cameras. Removing this limitation would simply make it easier to synch with our exterior audio to the multi angle video recordings.

5. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

This is quite possible. I have no idea, so I was hoping a dev might know, or someone may have fixed this. I'm wondering if another video would work. This would certainly let us know if it's hardware or software.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iDevices can playback a video stored on their NAND Flash that are greater than 4Gb and they are formatted with HFS+ which does not have the 4Gb limitation. My guess is that the 4Gb limit is imposed because Apple thinks it'll make people who have a FAT32 computer have less problems when they sync their iDevice.

7. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

As I'm testing different video apps, I will post my findings here for anyone who might be interested in this.

Native ios Camera App - Recording Limit: 49:51
    Instant Video - Recording Limit: 10:00

8. tmo1113 macrumors newbie

Same boat

So did you ever figure out a way to record longer ???