Remove Windows From Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by schalmers, Oct 4, 2011.

1. schalmers macrumors newbie

I am currently using a Macbook, 13-inch, late 2009, running Mac OS X Lion (originally purchased with OSX 10.6.0 Snow Leopard).

When I bought my Macbook, the drive had been partitioned with Bootcamp, so there are currently three drives; Macintosh HD, DATA, and Bootcamp. The Bootcamp drive runs Windows XP, which I no longer want, because I don't use it and it wastes a lot of space.

How would I go about removing the Windows from the Bootcamp partition, and if I do remove it, will that space be available as Macintosh HD space?

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Using the bootcamp assistant I would delete the current bootcamp partition and then start over; new partition, etc. Otherwise the assistant just reclaims the space.

(first copy any data you do want to keep)

3. schalmers thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried doing that, but when I open Bootcamp Assistant, it says that "the startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

I opened Disk Utility, and it is formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume, and partitioned by Bootcamp Assistant.

When I click OK, it stays on the screen saying to download Windows Support Software.