Removed bootcamp partition - left me with a gray unusable and unremoveable space.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Skrubber, May 24, 2009.

1. Skrubber macrumors newbie

Ok, so i was stupid enough to remove the boot camp partition by using the disk utility. Removing the partition resulted in a gray space, that couldn't be used by the Macintosh HD partition. I tried to merge them together, but after working a while the disk utility keeps giving me an error message. I'm not very good at explaining, so take a look at the pictures below.

First off i start up the disk utility:
    [​IMG]

Then i rezise the Macintosh HD partition:
    [​IMG]

And then i try to partionate, and after about 5 min an error message pops up:
    [​IMG]

I have no clue how to solve this one. Would really apriciate som help! :)

2. Skrubber thread starter macrumors newbie

I allready removed the windows partition, using the disk utility. Now i want to use the empty hard drive space on my mac.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Open Boot Camp Assistance; select the first radio and continue. It should then prompt you asking if you want to remove the other partition. This process also expands your OS X partition.

4. Skrubber thread starter macrumors newbie

No, there's no way of using boot camp assistant as ive allready removed the windows partition.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You should have used Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Windows partition... as you wouldn't have had this problem. However... there is a solution. Got an external drive handy, that's at least as big as your internal, and you can afford to erase? If you do, then here's the solution I recommend:
    1. Use a disk cloning program, such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, to clone your internal HD to the external.
    2. Boot the Mac from the clone.
    3. Launch Disk Utility, format the internal HD.
    4. Using your cloning program, clone the clone back to the internal.
    5. Reboot from the internal drive.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I doubt you need to move the partition off the HD and back.

With my very limited knowledge of Swedish your error seems to report "control/repair of the file system failed". It seems to me there might be errors on your Macintosh HD which are preventing the resize. I don't think you can do a non-destructive partitioning resize from the active OS X partition at any rate. Are you running Disk Utility from within OS X after booting up normally??

Boot your computer to your OS X DVD and run Disk Utility from there. Select the Macintosh HD partition and in First Aid repair it. If it doesn't find any errors then try the resize from there.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well sounds like your file system is broken.

I would boot into your restore DVD, go to the top and select: Utilities —> Disk Utility.

Then click on your drive and click repair disk. Afterwards, try to repartition the drive from there. (Be sure to extend the old partition not create a new one)