Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatrickW98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Subrubs of Chicago, IL
I removed Cydia through iFile thinking it would delete all my tweaks. It didn't. I still have all my tweaks and no Cydia. Since I still have iFile, is there a chance I could reinstall it using that?

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Did you think deleting the appstore would erase all your apps too?

And what were you attempting to do? Remove the jailbreak?

Is it the cydia.app directory you deleted? Ill post a dropbox link with the files in a short while if no one else does before me.

Edit: did you check the trash folder? It might still be there.

Last edited:

PatrickW98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Subrubs of Chicago, IL
Did you think deleting the appstore would erase all your apps too?

And what were you attempting to do? Remove the jailbreak?

Is it the cydia.app directory you deleted? Ill post a dropbox link with the files in a short while if no one else does before me.

Edit: did you check the trash folder? It might still be there.
I am trying to remove my jailbreak without restoring my device because I tried to unjailbreak my other phone today using the restore method. Made a backup through iTunes and then backup became corrupt. Don't what that happening again.

Could you please post it? Thanks :)

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
As soon as i get home ill post it im on my phone atm.

Did you check your ifile trash?

And you wont get rid of the jailbreak just by deleting the tweaks, or cydia. Evasi0n will still be installed.

Only way is a full itunes restore.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I removed Cydia through iFile thinking it would delete all my tweaks. It didn't. I still have all my tweaks and no Cydia. Since I still have iFile, is there a chance I could reinstall it using that?

if you deleted the cydia files using iFile, it should still be in the trash folder. You can attempt reinstalling cydia with this deb file and iFile: http://apt.saurik.com/cydia/debs/cydia_1.1.8_iphoneos-arm.deb

You have to manually uninstall your tweaks. And if you don't want to be jailbroken anymore, you have to restore, there is no other way

Make a backup using iTunes and it should be fine (you can try restoring from backup before you do the actual restore to make sure the backup is not corrupt)

nanolife

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Pasadena
Why do you need an iTunes backup anyway?
Just sync your images, musics folder and leave the contacts on iCloud. Once you restore the device, just sync everything back.

I really can't find a good reason for using iTunes backups, never did.

Plus, making a full restore will minimize the risk of getting any future problems like battery drain, bad performance, etc.
Don't you think it is better to have a *clean* IOS rather than fixing it with dressings only because you can't have the "trouble" to sync your folders?

Think further! Just my opinion.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Why do you need an iTunes backup anyway?
Just sync your images, musics folder and leave the contacts on iCloud. Once you restore the device, just sync everything back.

I really can't find a good reason for using iTunes backups, never did.

Plus, making a full restore will minimize the risk of getting any future problems like battery drain, bad performance, etc.
Don't you think it is better to have a *clean* IOS rather than fixing it with dressings only because you can't have the "trouble" to sync your folders?

Think further! Just my opinion.

Text messages maybe? Or app data?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World

He wanted all backup inclduing app data, i advised him to make a backup and try restoring it on his 6.1.1 first and then restore to 6.1.3 in his other thread.

This is what happens when people start experimenting when they have no clue and don't want to listen to advise.

nanolife

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Pasadena

Seriously? Text messages and app data?

Still, not a good reason for me to use an old backup on a clean install. :confused:

Well, but that's me. For him it is easier to mess around and delete Cydia to avoid restoring. :D

This is what happens when people start experimenting when they have no clue and don't want to listen to advise.

This is what happen with at least 80% of the users here. Have no clue but wanna be "cool" with a jailbreak.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011

Still, not a good reason for me to use an old backup on a clean install. :confused:

Well, but that's me. For him it is easier to mess around and delete Cydia to avoid restoring. :D

i think that includes saved games as well..

since ive lost my saves and thus my levels from TR2 (i had made it to 50000m) i never played the game again.

the notion of starting over completely ruined it for me.

nanolife

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Pasadena

since ive lost my saves and thus my levels from TR2 (i had made it to 50000m) i never played the game again.

Sorry to hear that. I don't play that hard on my device.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

What others value may not be what you value. Like they say one man's trash is another's treasure.

I was just saying what most people want to transfer over to their new device. Now, whether that is true to the OP or not, I don't know. He/she could use the device completely different from you; he/she might not know of any other method to restoring xx

And some people just simply opt for a backup because they don't have the time to redo all their settings

I'm not sure what you're going to say but hey! What you think is stupid doesn't mean everyone else thinks it's stupid.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

I always restore as new and never use iTunes for backups either. I just sync my stuff over after setting up as new. But I always use AppBackup to save all my game saves (and other app data) so when I rejailbreak I install fresh copies of my games and then restore the game saves. Been doing this for several years now. It's a great method. I have game saves from 2010 lol

nanolife

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Pasadena
Removed Cydia through iFile

What others value may not be what you value. Like they say one man's trash is another's treasure.

I was just saying what most people want to transfer over to their new device. Now, whether that is true to the OP or not, I don't know. He/she could use the device completely different from you; he/she might not know of any other method to restoring xx

And some people just simply opt for a backup because they don't have the time to redo all their settings

I'm not sure what you're going to say but hey! What you think is stupid doesn't mean everyone else thinks it's stupid.

That's what I said: "Not a good reason for me". Plain simple answer, don't need that moral because I never called anybody stupid here. Careful with the choice of words, that definitely changes what I said and/or my intention.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
That's what I said: "Not a good reason for me". Plain simple answer, don't need that moral because I never called anybody stupid here. Careful with the choice of words, that definitely changes what I said and/or my intention.

I apologize for my choice of words but I read it in an insulting tone

nanolife

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Pasadena
I apologize for my choice of words but I read it in an insulting tone

I didn't mean to insult at all, the OP asked for directions and I simply said why I choose different, that's all. ;)
It is nice that we have so many options, this way we can choose what better fits us.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I know this is an old thread, but i did almost the same thing. I have cydia.app on my desktop, and i have iexplorer. No internet... Im on my non jailbroken iphone... So how do i install it if i have the .app file and the jailbroken device without cydia? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.