Removed iTunes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacPC, Mar 25, 2014.

1. MacPC macrumors regular

Hi I have an older iMac(2008) Marvericks. I repurposed it to be a web and in-house file server. To maximize the Hard drive space, I removed many apps that I never need on this iMac, including iTunes, iPhoto, Chess, Dictionary...

However, every time there is an update from Apple, iTunes sneaks back into the Application folder. Does any one know how to disable this?

TIA

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

You can't.

Apple updates to OS X always ensure that the "core set" of apps is present and working.

3. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

That's want I hate about these "core set" apps, why can't Apple just update the core system files? Keep the apps separately, or at least allow users to have a choice. In that regard, I think Microsoft does a better job, Windows updates only updates its core system. Apparently Apple loves to shove the iTunes down to users' throat, annoying! And frankly iTunes is a piece of crap, the only reason I use it is because of my iPhone and iPad. iTunes reminds my of those Windows PC's bundled crapware.

Apple, how about make a pure version of OSX without all these iTunes, Photo Booth...?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Just ignore it. Turn off iTuneshelper. You can get more space using the monolingual app.