Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
If you can't find one, there are a few apps in the app store you can get which will let you control front row from your iPhone. Rowmote and Front Remote. I currently use Front Remote and it works fine.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
The Closest Thing...

The closest thing I could find was a RF remote from Front Row (Griffin -> RF Remote for Front Row). I think Keyspan used to make one, but Im not sure 'bout that one.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I think it was a marketing decision. I think they (Apple) thought MP users wouldn't be interested in Front Row. The first year or two of the Intel MP's they had it disabled all together and we had to hack our systems even to run the application. Now it's enabled but the closest thing to a remote that Apple provides is the wireless keyboard & mouse. Reading the other replies here I guess there are some 3rd party solutions tho - which is good! :)

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I think I read somewhere where someone had created a hackintosh as their media machine for a projector and they used an IR module from a broken MacBook or MacBook Pro to get Frontrow working. I swear it was in these forums somewhere. You could give that a try.

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
I'm using Mira by Twisted Melon. It generally works fine, although there is an issue. It seems to flake after a re-boot. You need to disconnect and re-connect the adapter in order for the remote to see it.

http://twistedmelon.com/mira/hardware.html

I'm also using Mira. It does the trick just well and works with all Apple Remotes. You can even configure what the buttons do and how they work with each program.

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
Do you have the problem of it not recognizing the remote after a reboot? Are you using 10.5.7?

Never. Though I haven't upgraded to 10.5.7 just yet. I'll do so tonight and let you know.

UPDATE: Upgraded to 10.5.7 earlier tonight. Have been using Mira for a good 2 hours now with EyeTV. No issues. Still a solid product.

UPDATE2: It's been a week and I've still had no issues with my Mira.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Well today I've been looking for a usb irda dongle to sync some of my old phones.
As in a short time I'll buy a mac,I decided to find one with compability,it was an hard time,the only thing that I found was this one, it is based on sigmatel r4220 chip wich claimed to be macos compatible..
Altough the sigmatel page is down,I found in this thread someone that claimed that it worked,and as you can see the post was pretty recent!
The user said it was plug n play,but if you still need the mac drivers,you can use the wayback machine and download it using the search for http://www.sigmatel.com/documents/MAC_Driver.dmg
Direct link for the file, please keep in mind that this driver is from 2005..
Hope it helps anyone :)
it took me almost everyday to find one cheap irda adapter mac compatible..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.