*removed*

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rjheys, Feb 12, 2010.

1. rjheys, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I have another forum post on possibly the same thing the only problem is I only have 1gb of ram so it just starts eating HDD space for virtual memory it ate 60gbs of hdd space for virtual ram!!! its unusable I am hoping apple fixes very soon.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm glad I didn't upgrade then yet. I'll wait for Lightroom 3 to come out and decide then. What you guys are reporting though sounds pretty bad. No doubt Apple will be patching it up soon.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Hardly uses any memory on my 27" i7 iMac. w/8GB RAM.

Open activity monitor and see whats using all your memory.

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Edit: See if Aperture is scanning all of your images for Faces -- that takes a long time and slows the computer down (you can turn it off).

----------------

Filling most of your RAM and bringing the computer to grinding halt are very different.

OSX by itself will operate on just 1GB of RAM but it will certainly use up more than 1GB if you have more RAM installed.

6. rjheys, Feb 12, 2010

rjheys thread starter macrumors regular

7. Midwest macrumors newbie

Been there done that

You can disable the face function in preferences. I did such, and no change. It still sucked all the RAM up in a matter of one minute. I also made sure my iMac with 4 GB of RAM, and 10.6.2 was running at 64 bit. Looking at many other forums today I noticed many, many others are have the same RAM hog problem with Aperture 3. No one seems to have an answer that works. This seem to be innate with Aperture 3. Surprised that this wasn't noticed by Apple in beta testing before its release. :confused:

8. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I've been having that problem without the faces processing-- filled up memory and then fell over.

BTW-- what tool are you using for system monitoring? Looks like Menumeters, but the interface is much more slicker!

9. rjheys, Feb 13, 2010

rjheys thread starter macrumors regular

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have the same ram hoggy issues. I still am switching from Lightroom to Aperture 3. I REALLY REALLY like Aperture. I liked it before but it never had brushes, once I read it had brushes I downloaded the trial and went to town.

I did have it freeze up when using brushes and each picture I click adds more and more ram usage, it never seems to clear even when switching projects.

Oh well I'm sure Apple will come out with a fix. I really like it so I will stick with it. I actually finally got around to processing my New Zealand pics that I've been sitting on for over a year :D