Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imgreekyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Hi,

I know you can remove Apple menulets from the menubar by holding the command key and dragging the icons off..

But for third party applications without a "hide menulet" option: is there a way to manually remove/hide the menulet? (To be specific: I'm not talking about simply replacing the menulet with a transparent png, I'm talking full removal but the program is still running in the background)

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Which menulet from which program are you specifically referring to? Most programs have preferences to turn off those menulets.

imgreekyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
well, the ones i have running right now are: iAntiVirus, GrowlTunes, Wallpaper Clocks, and Yahoo! Widgets

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Third-party menulets that are implemented the "correct" way don't get the ability to be moved around via Cmd+drag, so unless there's an option in the app's preferences to hide the menubar icon, I think you're pretty much SOL.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Third-party menulets that are implemented the "correct" way don't get the ability to be moved around via Cmd+drag, so unless there's an option in the app's preferences to hide the menubar icon, I think you're pretty much SOL.

Correct, unless there's options in the Menulets prefs then there is no way to remove them without quitting the actual menulet.

snverhallen

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I guess the other way—which might not help much—is uninstall the program the menulet is associated with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.