Removing 3rd party menulets from Leopard menubar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imgreekyo, Aug 2, 2008.

1. imgreekyo macrumors newbie

imgreekyo

Hi,

I know you can remove Apple menulets from the menubar by holding the command key and dragging the icons off..

But for third party applications without a "hide menulet" option: is there a way to manually remove/hide the menulet? (To be specific: I'm not talking about simply replacing the menulet with a transparent png, I'm talking full removal but the program is still running in the background)

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Which menulet from which program are you specifically referring to? Most programs have preferences to turn off those menulets.

3. imgreekyo thread starter macrumors newbie

imgreekyo

well, the ones i have running right now are: iAntiVirus, GrowlTunes, Wallpaper Clocks, and Yahoo! Widgets

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Third-party menulets that are implemented the "correct" way don't get the ability to be moved around via Cmd+drag, so unless there's an option in the app's preferences to hide the menubar icon, I think you're pretty much SOL.

5. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Correct, unless there's options in the Menulets prefs then there is no way to remove them without quitting the actual menulet.

snverhallen

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I guess the other way—which might not help much—is uninstall the program the menulet is associated with.