Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Is there a way to remove 5 scanav. The computer was redirected to this website. The download was not done, but there might be a trail on the computer, and i'd like to get rid of it. Being new to the Mac, i wasn't expecting this.
Thanks for your help.
Brad

millerb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
This was some sort of virus scan with a popup window that said you have 3 trojans and to download the full version of this software. Trying to cancel would not work, and safari was locked up. I had to force quit safari, and restart the computer. Nothing was downloaded from the popup. Safari address bar showed 5 scanav.com as the website it was on. This happened after my wife visited a website for teachers. Obviously someone has this attached to their link on the website. I emptied the safari cache, so i hope this will get rid of any trail.
Found this, but i'm not sure how legitimate the website is or if there is a removal tool for mac, or where to look for it on my MBP.
http://www.removeonline.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.