Removing a FAN?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by japresl, Jun 6, 2010.

1. japresl macrumors member

I have a FAN discount through my previous employer. I was laid off, and completely forgot about having the FAN discount until just now seeing this thread. Should I contact AT&T and have them remove it? Or will they even know that I'm no longer employed at the company? Will it potentially come up when I upgrade my phone?

Hoping to get advice on this ASAP so it doesn't interfere with the iPhone upgrade..

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No you don't have to remove it. It only matters when you're trying to add a line to your account (some AT&T stores cannot add a line onto your FAN).

Also some FAN discounts have limits on them (ie: One of the discounts I have has a 2 years limit—so after 2 years I need to re-add my discount).

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

This was not a problem last year with the iPhone 3GS and orders or even pre-orders thru Apple.

No, AT&T will not know that you no longer qualify for a FAN (National Discount) unless you notify them.

The only types of accounts that had issues last year were very specific type of CRU accounts where the business paid your bill or was directly responsible for payment. Since you are no longer employed by the company, it is not very likely that they would allow you to still have a CRU account.

Note: Some times, trying to remove the FAN causes more issues than leaving it alone...this is what happend in 2008 with the iPhone 3G when the Apple POS system could no access the account information if you had a FAN tied to your account.

Dave

4. japresl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. Dave - regarding your last little section - there were problems due to the FAN or because the fan was removed? I'm confused.

5. monksealpup macrumors regular

The problem was that you couldn't buy a phone in the Apple Retail Store if you had a FAN. You had to go to an AT&T store. This pissed A LOT of people off (including me) who camped out at Apple stores, then found out during the purchasing phase we had to rush to an AT&T because AT&T was an @$$hole. They fixed that last year, and presumably it shouldn't be a problem this year, either.

6. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about it. Like dave006 said, AT&T will not know that you no longer qualify for a FAN unless you notify them. And why would you notify them about that and give up the discount unless you are working for another employer that has a FAN?

7. japresl thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, exactly walds11. I mean I was in such a bitter mood when I was laid off that removing the small discount that I get on my wireless plan through the company was the last thing on my mind. I didn't know if somehow AT&T checks up on the FAN accounts and would make me pay back the money or something (as I haven't worked with that company since November). Oh well. Fingers crossed that there won't be an issue at the Apple Store when I'm trying to upgrade! Thanks for the help everyone.

8. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I've still got my FAN from college on my account. It's only 15%, but that's still a few bucks off a month that I enjoy :) I graduated in December and was freaking out about when I upgraded to the new iPhone that my FAN would be removed, but it'll apparently stay

Plus, on Thursday I just accepted a new job that I start in two weeks. Here's to hoping that they have a FAN discount, and that it's more than 15%!

9. japresl thread starter macrumors member

Good luck! Mine was only a 10% discount..and from what I've seen 10 is pretty high as far as FAN discounts go. 15% sounds pretty awesome!