Removing a Hard Drive Partition - "The requested change in size is too small"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bschamel, Jun 21, 2013.

1. bschamel macrumors newbie

I am trying to delete a bootcamp partition using Disk Utility and when I try to do so, the error "The requested change in size is too small" comes up.

The partition is 160 GB, so I don't understand how that could be the case.

FYI: I am on a 15 in Macbook Pro running 10.8.3.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

Why don't you use Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Windows partition?

3. bschamel thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried that, and it said an error occurred when it was trying to reformat the hard drive.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My advice:

1. Get ahold of an external drive large enough to hold the entire contents of your internal drive.
    2. Use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the contents of your Mac partition to the external drive
    3. When done, boot from the external clone (restart, as soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and keep holding it down until the startup manager appears -- then select external drive and hit return)
    4. Once booted externally, use Disk Utility to re-initialize your internal drive.
    5. Now, RE-clone the external drive contents back to the internal drive.

This will give you a single-partition setup when done.

Important info about the recovery partition:
    CCC can now create a recovery partition on the external drive as a part of the cloning process. If you wish, CCC, will then re-clone the recovery partition back to the original drive, as well (if you have re-initialized the original drive and in the process removed the RP)