Removing a non-third-party item from System Preferences

tikibangout

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hi, I'm running 10.4, and I installed OS 9.2 from a disk that came with 10.4. So I installed it, and finally figured out how to remove it. So I did that, but still there is a Classic 9 item in System Preferences. Its under the System subheading in SP. And I can't find out how to remove it because its non-third-party. Anyone know how to delete it? Thanks.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
tikibangout said:
Hi, I'm running 10.4, and I installed OS 9.2 from a disk that came with 10.4. So I installed it, and finally figured out how to remove it. So I did that, but still there is a Classic 9 item in System Preferences. Its under the System subheading in SP. And I can't find out how to remove it because its not\n-third-party. Anyone know how to delete it? Thanks.
I really, REALLY, suggest not doing this. The built-in preference panes are meant to be part of the system, and deleting them may have unexpected and unwanted results.

That said, trash

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Classic.prefpane

Use at your own risk.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You can of course not trash it but move it somewhere else so as you can always put it back later. You could even compress it in the same directory then remove the original.

yellow5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
I've been wondering how to do this ever since I installed Adobe CS2 and that lame Adobe Bridge showed up in my pref pane.

Thanks!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
stridey said:
I really, REALLY, suggest not doing this. The built-in preference panes are meant to be part of the system, and deleting them may have unexpected and unwanted results.
By default, the Classic pane is hidden, and only appears once you install OS 9. However, when you remove OS 9, the Classic pane doesn't disappear. I think the original poster would like to know how to re-hide it, rather than get rid of it completely.