Removing a Partition on an external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ennsy908, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ennsy908 macrumors newbie

I have a 1TB external HD that it is partitioned into two. Both partitions are Mac OS Extended Journaled. I want to remove one of the partitions but keep the other intact. I am trying to do this with disk utility. I thought I would just be able to resize the partition that I wanted to keep and make it the size of the HD but I can't, if this is possible, figure out how

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you are going to remove a partition, what's with the resizing? Highlighting the partition you wish to remove and then clicking the - sign in the Partition tab of Disk Utility, then clicking apply should do the trick. Resizing is wholly unnecessary unless you want to keep BOTH partitions but just increase/decrease the size of a given partition.

3. ennsy908 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya I Totally can't find the minus sign your talking about

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Select your drive in the sidebar of Disk Utility. On the Partitions tab for that drive at the bottom below the partition graphic will be plus and minus sign buttons. If the button still isn't there, you can just highlight the partition you want to delete and press the delete key on the keyboard to remove it. Then press the Apply button to complete the process.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Here's a screenshot:

Attached Files: