removing a partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JayClancy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. JayClancy macrumors newbie

i ahev had some problems installing bootcamp, anyway thats another story im trying to delete a partion on my hd using the minus button in disk utility its taken more than 15 minutes to remove a 32GB partition. and it says preparing to remove partition. what can i do? if i quit DU will it mess my computer up?

i have a 24" aluminum iMac

2. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Is everything backed up?

Wait for the Disk utility to finish. It should do the job. But, if it doesn't, the easiest and quickest way to remove a partition is via the Bootcamp Assistant.

Open it up, select 'Create or remove' partition and then click 'Restore'.

I tried to post a screen shot to help you, but I can't upload the picture due to its size. 1.4MB is apparently too large!

3. JayClancy thread starter macrumors newbie

bootcamp assist isnt working for me because it says the start up disk is not supported i have figured this to be because the disk is already partioned and wopnt remove partion this way for some reason anyway DU is the only way i have found that can help i was just wondering how long it would take

4. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Sorry, I don't know how long that will take. Boot camp should work for you though so if you can't get it to function then maybe you should take it to an Apple store?

Maybe about 1/2 hour for DU?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

On the off-chance you still have Disk Utility running, you have no alternative but to force quit it-- and perhaps will even have to force quit the whole computer by depressing and holding the power button.

Under normal circumstances it takes only a few seconds for Disk Utility to remove/delete an existing partition.