Removing a scratch - iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattkowalski, Jun 3, 2010.

1. mattkowalski macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3GS, with a problem. It has a nice scratch in the middle of the screen. It's not a deep scratch, although I can feel it when I run my nail over it, and is definitely noticeable.

I did a little research and bought some Applesauce. Then through a combination of laziness and fear, I decided not to actually use it, and just wait for the iPhone 4G to surface.

Having seen the leaked iPhone 4G images, I admit I'm not totally bowled over by the way it looks (a debate for another day!), so I'm now more inclined to try and remove this scratch!

Has anyone used Applesauce on an iPhone 3GS before? Any reasons not to use it, or risks attached? Given that I'm essentially rubbing liquid-sandpaper into an otherwise unblemished screen?!

Cheers.

2. elephunkman macrumors 65816

You could always make up a BS reason about the phone's battery or sound problems and get a refurbished, but scratchless one. They might treat that scratch as general wear/tear. Just a suggestion..

3. mattkowalski thread starter macrumors member

I did consider that option actually, or something to that effect. I've managed to keep the phone in otherwise perfect condition - so wouldn't be too happy if I got a replacement in worse condition than the original one! ;)

Lets keep that as a second option for now.....

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The replacements are in brand new condition. Find a couple of microscopic cracks in the case around the switches, or jacks and take it to Apple for a replacement. Problem solved.

Don't even think about polishing the screen of a 3GS. You would ruin the coatings on the surface.... :(

5. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

"Then through a combination of laziness and fear..."

Wow, that was classic. Just flat out classic. <3

6. mattkowalski, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

mattkowalski thread starter macrumors member

Hmm... that's what I was afraid of!!

Come to think of it, the battery has been playing up a bit lately ;) ;)