Removing a user from a network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wwxdc, Aug 14, 2009.

1. wwxdc macrumors newbie

When I look at the page that tells me how much of my download allowance I've used it also tells me what devices are connected to my BT Home Hub wireless network. As well as my computer there is an iphone which isn't mine. I want to know how to I get rid of them?

I also can't understand how they got on there in the first place but that's another matter.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. belvdr macrumors 603

No, password protect it _now_ and the iPhone should go away.

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

You should also be able to block a device based on the MAC address.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In order to block a MAC address, you must know the MAC address. However, you can permit only certain MAC addresses. If you allow only certain MAC addresses to use the connection, then no other device will be able use the wireless connection. This includes devices that belong to friends and family.

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

Correct. I'm assuming we're dealing with a wireless router like Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc. I know that my router (a netgear) shows a list of attached devices, and also lists their MAC addresses. So it's not like it's hard data to find out. ;)

But like you suggested, you could go about Whitelisting the devices you want to allow access to, rather than blacklisting the ones you don't. And the whitelist will be much shorter too :).

Also, to the OP, note that these methods aren't 100%. They're nowhere near 100% to someone who knows what their doing. WEP is cracked very easily and MAC addresses can be spoofed by people who know what they're doing (and pretty much anyone with access to Google).

EDIT: You know, I don't even think my router will allow blacklisting based on MAC. So whitelisting would probably be the way to go.

7. t22design macrumors regular

Whitelisting isn't a solution.

Enabling a decent level of encryption is the only solution.

WPA or WPA2.

Nothing else is necessary.