Removing additional files for apps that no longer exist

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mdukco, Nov 25, 2010.

1. mdukco macrumors newbie

As many of you are aware when you drag an application to the bin, it does not remove all the files associated with that app. Some additional files (preferences etc) are left behind. I use a program called appcleaner (although there are loads out there like appzapper etc..) which removes these additional files. Problem is I only started using it last week and have previously 'deleted' plenty of apps (in the past) the 'normal' way (and therefore have not removed the additional files).

My question is does anyone know of a program that can go and remove the additional files left behind when the app itself was uninstalled a long time ago?

Cheers

2. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

The easiest would be to do it manually. 99% of all apps have their additional files in ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences. The name of the files tells you what app they belonged to.

3. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Perhaps re-installing the old programs, and then re-uninstalling it would allow app cleaner to perform the clean up that you weren't able to do in the past.