Removing Advanced Pulldown from HV20

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Peel, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

I demo'd an HV20 today at my local pro camera store. I shot about 5 minutes of video in 24P mode, and log & captured it into FCP 6, using the Easy Setup setting of HDV-1080p24. I'm now back home, and I see that this actually came in as HDV 1080i60. I am attempting to remove the advanced pulldown, so that I'm left with 24p footage to edit. However if I choose Tools>Remove Advanced Pulldown, I'm told "[clip name] - File does not contain DVCPRO, DVCPRO-HD, or DVCPRO-50 NTSC video."

Do I need to transcode to DVCPRO-HD before I'm able to remove the Advanced Pulldown? What are my options?

Edit: Ok, I dropped the clip into a 24p sequence, and it tried to remove the pulldown, but it misread the cadence, and instead of removing the redundant frames, it removed the ones right after the duplicates.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Advanced pull-down is different beast than regular pull-down (which is what the HV20 uses AFAIK). Try this post on hdforindies.com and see if it helps you out.

Lethal

3. Peel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peel

Yes, you're right Lethal. I just read the Canon website, and see that the HV20 indeed uses 2:3 pulldown. I had, for some reason, thought that I read that it used 2:3:3:2.

4. Peel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peel

OK, I've got it now. Not having worked with the HDV format before (all my prior work has been exclusively DV), I now see that the workflow for importing 24p from the HV20 is:
    1. Log and Capture Footage
    2. Batch convert to a non-temporally compressed codec (AIC, or Pro-Res)
    3. Reverse Telecine

It was the lack of doing the second step that was preventing the reverse telecine from working, as Cinema Tools requires all I frames in order to do a reverse telecine.