Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrPepsi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
I currently replaced my 09 MacBook pro with a brand new iMac. I plan to use my mcp as pretty much a back up computer doing my banking on and backing up my work documents, but am concerned about viruses and whatnot. So I thought about removing the airport card from it. I guess the question is "will it function properly if I remove the airport card from it?" and if so does anyone know how to?

DrPepsi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
Well I was talking to the guy at the local Mac store and he was trying to sell me virus protection and he said they can always hack in even if you turn wifi off. So I was thinking if I just took out the part that gives it wifi capability it would completely cut them off from trying to hack me. Ya know?

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Not worth the risk of taking the card out. Just turn Airport off. No way to turn it back on unless you do it yourself.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
So I was thinking if I just took out the part that gives it wifi capability it would completely cut them off from trying to hack me. Ya know?

No, I have no idea what you are going on about. If your computer is connected to the internet, it can be compromised. If you have an online banking account it can be compromised regardless if your computer is connected to the internet or not.

You are wasting your time.

DrPepsi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
I use quicken to keep track of my taxes and all my accounts. I put everything in manually and do it all myself. I just don't want my computer to be online or even able to get online. For security purposes only. I just want to know if removed the card if it would actually work?

RoyalFlushAK(s)

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
I use quicken to keep track of my taxes and all my accounts. I put everything in manually and do it all myself. I just don't want my computer to be online or even able to get online. For security purposes only. I just want to know if removed the card if it would actually work?

Yes, your computer will work just fine. Make sure you don't break something else inside.

RFlush,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.