Removing an icon from the dock

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Rolomoto, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Rolomoto macrumors newbie

I give up. It says to drag it until a puff of smoke appears. When I do that and let go it floats back to the dock. Apparently there is a "Remove from Dock" option if you right click but I don't have that. Under options there is "keep in dock" which has no effect whether checked or unchecked.
    thanks

2. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

You have to do all the above you have read about, but drag it WAY far than you'd maybe expect. Go upwards! And then you WILL see the poff! Let go and done!

Also, to see the "remove from dock" you have to click on "alternative" or something like that (mine is in swedish) and then you will see remove from dock option. when right clicking on the icon, in the dock.

3. Rolomoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I could get a couple to disappear but most won't e.g numbers, maps etc..

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

They won't go if they're running at the time you try to get rid of them.

5. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

There's also a small delay between when you pull the icon off the dock and when the puff cloud appears, to prevent accidental removals from the dock apparently.

6. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

It's distance from dock not time from dock

7. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

No it's both. Pull it up high as fast as you can and notice the cloud doesn't appear instantly. Also, to confirm this, pull it up as high as you can (fast) and let go quickly and it will still return to the dock.

There is both a distance threshold and slight time threshhold.

8. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

cool, never noticed the correlation to time, only distance. I just tested it by holding the icon 2mm away and nothing happened…I waited a couple of minutes.