Removing Architectures

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by TheBuffather, Aug 22, 2011.

1. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Hi all.

I own a late 2008 MBP 2.66Gz w/4GB ram running Lion. I use Monolingual from time to time to remove all languages except english, as well as all architectures except Intel and Intel 64-bit. I know that my system is 64-bit, but does this mean that I can remove the Intel architecture as well?

Thanks!

2. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

No, if you remove the intel architecture, all the 32bit software won't run at all. The system might fails to boot too.

3. TheBuffather thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Ah, thank you very much Ritsuka. I appreciate it!

4. Lokheed macrumors regular

You shouldn't really be removing any architectures. Language files are safe to remove but stripping archs are another story altogether. You may be seriously compromising the integrity of your system (this is why Xslimmer blacklists many apps) even if you aren't aware of it (apps visually crashing).

I'm all for space saving, but removing archs don't free up much at all, not nearly as much as language files.

5. TheBuffather thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Good tips; thank you very much. I will focus on removing languages from now on. I appreciate it!

6. Lokheed macrumors regular

No worries :)

You can check out a list of safe files to remove for additional space saving above and beyond the locales.

I've been planning on doing a full guide, but this will have to do for now. I have a real bad habit of hacking and telling myself "oh, I'll remember for next time" when that's just clearly not the case ;)