Removing Arrow Keys on Aluminum Apple Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by psycoswimmer, Apr 30, 2008.

1. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Something got stuck under the eject and left-arrow keys on my Apple Aluminum Keyboard. I found this site which shows how to take off the keys. I successfully took off the eject key and cleaned out the unidentified goo and it works fine. The two "springs" were on the left side and I was able to take them off. However, the left-arrow key (which unfortunately is used more often and is stuck worse) won't budge. I pulled harder than I did to the eject key but it won't pop off. Any tips?

Edit: I asked my sister when she got home from her bike ride if anything happened to the keyboard or if she spilled anything on it. I could tell from her face that she did and I finally got out of her that she spilled orange juice on it. I'd still like some tips on what to clean the keys with. The bigger problem than cleaning the keys will actually be cleaning the OJ under the hinges in the keyboard.

2. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Update: I decided to just go for it and I was able to pluck the left-arrow key off. There was a bunch of yellow sticky stuff under it, just like the eject key, but way more. It looked like strips of glue, and it was really abundant under the tiny white plastic hinges on the key itself. I just pressed some of the unused keys (like home, end, page up, etc.) and noticed that all of them are sticky too. (The block of 6 above the arrow keys, F15-19, numeric keypad).

Would an Apple Store deal with this kind of stuff? I find it strange that this is happening to only the keys I rarely use (although that doesn't explain the left arrow key). If this was a spill that happened and was covered up when I was gone last night, what would be the best way to clean these? I'm thinking I would take all of them off and let them soak in something.

Edit: Here's a picture. It's really blurry; I took it real quick in Photo Booth. But it's pretty visible to see the yellow goo (on the page up key).

Attached Files:

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

step 1, have sister buy you new keyboard.
    2, remove all keys, and soak in warm water
    3, remove all residue on actual keyboard

4. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Is cleaning the actual keyboard inside going to damage the keyboard at all? There are soft silicon-type buttons and microscopic hinges in there.

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

4, ???
    5, Profit?

Sorry had to do it. ;)

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Could it be that too much glue was applied at the factory? I'd get that thing looked at by an :apple: employee (specifically a high up employee, they'll give you more if it is defective :D).