Removing background from photo....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JackT06, Jun 16, 2011.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hi Guys,

Please could you give me a hand....

I have been alot of photos recently where the background has been removed, so that you can only see the subject....

But i can't seem to master it? I have read tutorials but i seem to allways get a crap results.....

I'm using Photoshop CS5.5 but, i don't know it that well... I have attached the photo that i'm trying to do and also my result so far....

Attached Files:

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

well

Your best bet is magic wand tool, its perfectly suited for this.

But seriously, you just need to use a mask alongside brushes, pen tool, and background eraser. That's how I do quick-and-dirty knockouts

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This type of work is best done on photos that have a good deal of difference between the foreground and background. I would do this with the same tools mentioned by Matt. It would take ages and I wouldn't be satisfied with the results.

Dale

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yep. Even the most skilled Photoshop user would not be able to knock the background out of your example photo.

Another easier option is the Topaz ReMask Plugin.

5. dslade09 macrumors member

here ya go, its not the best but its pretty close

Attached Files:

6. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

even going pixel by pixel, hair seems to be the biggest pain in the arse in these situations. Commendable job, dslade90:D

7. dslade09 macrumors member

Thank you Ravaroo I appreciate it. Here is the other one with the bucket. Yes the hair was a killlerrr!

Attached Files:

8. neutrino23 macrumors 65816

If you will do a lot of these take a look at something like

Vertus Fluid Mask

http://www.vertustech.com/fluidMask/free_trial.html

This is designed specifically for separating such transitions. In a best case scenario it can even pull out smoke and fog from a background. That takes a bit of training.

9. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

cheers for tips guys. Yeah, my main problem was the hair too because it blends in so well. thanks anyways!:)

10. Xeep macrumors newbie

One problem I find is the edges look too sharp, after removing a background, so I use the blur tool as well to blur the edges. Makes it look less like a cut-out.

11. Dark slide macrumors newbie

Re: Removing backgrounds

With CS5, there are some enhanced options to improve masking. You might want to practice by shooting an image with a simpler background in order to improve your technique without getting too frustrated. The image you posted is very difficult to separate.

I have had good success with using the quick selection tool to get an approximate selection of the foreground you want to separate from the background. You can “push” and “pull” the selection closer to the edges by holding down the shift key to add to the selection, or hold down the option key to subtract from the selection. Then I use the Refine Edge button in the tool option bar. This will bring up a small window with a lot of options to refine the edge of you selection: Edge detection, which helps refine the edges in complicated areas such as hair; Adjust edge, which allows you to adjust the selection by smoothing, feathering, contrasting, or shifting the selection in or out. You would probably want to be conservative with the strength of these sliders. Finally, there is Output. I would select decontaminate color, which is a great way to “color” in areas that are difficult to separate, like in hair. Then I like to select the output choice of new layer with mask which is nice because with the mask, you can refine your selection even more by brushing in white to reveal or black to hide.

Attached Files:

12. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Some good attempts at this so far...here's mine

[​IMG]

I'm still learning photoshop but a different colour'd background would have made this so much easier!