Removing Bloatware

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by stevento, Jun 23, 2013.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

So I bought a brand new Windows 7 machine. It came with BOTH McAfee and Norton. :confused:

After the trial membership ended after 30 days, both programs started popping up, threatening me saying if I don't buy their service viruses will ruin my computer. I tried to disable them. couldn't figure out how. So I just uninstalled them both. Then I kept getting a blue screen. Turns out it's a known problem. Removing McAfee also removes a necessary driver for the rest of the system. WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO DO TROUBLESHOOTING WORK ON A BRAND NEW MACHINE?!:confused::eek:
    HELP!

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

This is why I always do a clean install of Windows when I purchase a non-Apple machine. Even if you manage to uninstall the aforementioned software, they will leave registry entries behind that can give you headaches later. Anyway, I'd go for a fresh install of Windows and then a lightweight AV program like Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast (both free).

Pain in the ass if you've already got everything set up the way you like it, but there's nothing better than a clean, fresh operating system.

3. oldhifi, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

you should have the windows activation key on bottom of Laptop..

download Windows 7 from MS, burn ISO and reinstall Windows 7, and use that key for activation

all the drivers you need should be in Windows 7..

----------

and thats why I went to a MAC...

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Don't get me wrong... I will never use Windows as my main OS - I'm too much of a *nix fanboy for that. But, unfortunately, I still require Windows for certain things (mainly work).

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

Format the computer with a fresh windows 7 install and download the drivers from the manufacturers website. The consumer windows computers usually come with bloatware but business/enterprise computers do not.

6. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

yea me too, I have a Windows 7 laptop, I hardly turn on..of course when I do it wants to install zillions of updates