Removing bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Top Cat, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Top Cat macrumors newbie

Top Cat

Like many who have fairly recently transferred from Windows to Mac, I was concerned that some software was not available for Mac. I set up a Bootcamp partition, but have rarely used it since it means rebooting the machine. I have since discovered Wine which runs what I want in a windows window inside a Mac window. The only problem is that the scroll on the mouse is incredibly sensitive, and I end up zooming in and out unexpectedly.

I want to remove the Bootcamp partition, and have removed windows and erased all data in it, setting the format to MAC OS Extended (Journaled) as told to. However, Bootcamp Assistant now says it cant do anything as the partition is not so formatted.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get rid of it, and reclaim the 194 GB for the MAC OS hard dive? I only have the one internal HD.

2. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

You can delete it with disk utility then extend the Mac partition.

3. Top Cat thread starter macrumors newbie

Top Cat

Thanks. It now appears as a separate drive - formatted as above, but I cant see any option or command to either delete it or extend the Mac partition.

4. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

What version of disk utility? They did dumb it down but I see that if you click on the disk drive and then the partition button, you can then select the bootcamp partition and click minus. Then you'll need to resize the Mac partition.

5. Top Cat thread starter macrumors newbie

Top Cat

Version 15.0 - see Image. There do not appear to be any partition, plus or minus buttons, or any way to resize partitions.

Attached Files:

6. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Click the disk drive icon at top left, not the boot camp partition. Then the partition button at top will light up and you can click it.

7. Top Cat thread starter macrumors newbie

Top Cat

Its so easy when you know how! Thank you!