Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thorlax402

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I was wondering if anyone could help me remove the partition created by bootcamp and adding the space to that of the Macintosh HD. Unfortunately, I already erased the drive using Disk Utility and then later found out that I probably shouldn't have done that. The drive is now labeled as "Disk0S3". When I try to open boot camp assistant, I get an error saying "The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already paritioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

I have been hunting around a little for a way to remove this partition and add the space to Macintosh HD but have been out of luck so far. Has anyone experience this? Will I have to backup and reformat the drive?

Thanks,
~Thorlax

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Okay, try doing this:

Open Disk Utility and click on the name of the actual drive in the side bar. Don't click on one of the partitions... click on the ACTUAL drive (mine says 298.1 GB Hitachi HTS54 on my Macbook Pro, and 232.9 GB WDC WD2500J on my iMac. You get the idea)

Then click on the "Partition" tab. Then click on disk0s3 on the little diagram it shows you, and click the little "minus" button underneath it. Then take it from there.

Note: The above information is from the Leopard version of Disk Utility... and I'm not sure it's even gonna work... or if it's the best thing to do.

That being said, it's what I would do if I were in your situation :)

Thorlax402

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Thanks for the idea, but I have run into another snag. I am trying to remove the partition, but Disk Utility has remained with the same message for the last hour or so. It says "Preparing to remove volume" and the status bar shows that it is still active and not frozen. It doesn't seem like it should take this long to delete a partition and I don't know what to do now. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
~Thorlax

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.