Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

So here's the dilly: i have an amateur camcorder filming of a wedding. (I can see it...someone just cringed :) the camera was positioned further back so yup...you guessed it...hard to hear the priest and vows.

However, if i duplicate the track and boost the audio, you can hear it quite well.

Problem is....the ugly camcorder buzz is of course, wickedly loud too.

I applied the AUGraphicEQ in final cut, adjusting 63 to '0' as well as 6300, 8000 and 10000, but the buzz is still there.

I'm on fcp 4.5. any other suggestions for removing it? I thought of soundsoap as i've used it before, but i found it more or less muffled the sound as opposed to removing it.

and yes, i do realize this may be hard to remove, but i thought i would poll the users to see what folks might suggest :)

and also, yes, the client realizes the tape has faults (i'm not even going to get into how the 'videographer' filmed ALL THE SPEECHES with the speakers' backs to the windows.... can you say DOH!!!! yup....all dark faces...can't see any of them. but the sound is ok :)

Cheers,
keebler

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Hi folks,

So here's the dilly: i have an amateur camcorder filming of a wedding. (I can see it...someone just cringed :) the camera was positioned further back so yup...you guessed it...hard to hear the priest and vows.

However, if i duplicate the track and boost the audio, you can hear it quite well.

Problem is....the ugly camcorder buzz is of course, wickedly loud too.

I applied the AUGraphicEQ in final cut, adjusting 63 to '0' as well as 6300, 8000 and 10000, but the buzz is still there.

I'm on fcp 4.5. any other suggestions for removing it? I thought of soundsoap as i've used it before, but i found it more or less muffled the sound as opposed to removing it.

and yes, i do realize this may be hard to remove, but i thought i would poll the users to see what folks might suggest :)

and also, yes, the client realizes the tape has faults (i'm not even going to get into how the 'videographer' filmed ALL THE SPEECHES with the speakers' backs to the windows.... can you say DOH!!!! yup....all dark faces...can't see any of them. but the sound is ok :)

Cheers,
keebler

Do you have Soundtrack Pro?

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I'll assume he does not have Soundtrack Pro being that he as Final Cut 4.5.

Is there a filter in there called DC hum, or something like that?

Also, try opening up the Final Cut Pro manual, and go to the audio filters section (i think there is one), it will explain what each does.

Worst case scenario, experiment with each filter and find which one sounds the best.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle

Cheers,
keebler

Do you have some B-roll you can cut to during the speeches? Maybe even some stills taken by the wedding photographer?

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
For this type of thing I use some highend plugins. You can download a 15-day demo of Waves X-Noise. I would also look into Soundsoap. Trying to 'eq it out' will never work all that well.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
thanks for the suggestions folks.

FF, i did go through the manual, but i wanted to see if there was a popular answer or solution. The DC hum does seem to work well. I'm still going to take a run at it with Soundsoap just to see what the difference can be.

The client doesn't have any Broll or photography pics as the video is 5 years old and her son lives out west. I feel bad for the client. it's not the worst tape in the world, despite its issues, but she wholeheartedly regrets not using a professional videographer.

in the end, she will get something that will serve as a memento, but not just the best one possible.

Thanks again.
Keebler

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Slightly off topic, have you tried using the colour correction tools to show up more of the detail in the faces?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.