Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yabot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Hi everyone,

i have 2010 13inch Macbook Pro, im looking to upgrade soon so may aswell do some tinkering with it.

I was wondering, since i dont use it, is it possible to take out the CD/DVD drive out of the laptop completely and it still function? i only want to do it to make it a little light etc and i dont use it, obviously if its too hard and will break it i wont bother.

thanks.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I was wondering, since i dont use it, is it possible to take out the CD/DVD drive out of the laptop completely and it still function?

While you're not going to save that much in terms of weight, taking the optical drive out is not difficult.

Watch the video here to see if it's something you'd be comfortable doing.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hi everyone,

i have 2010 13inch Macbook Pro, im looking to upgrade soon so may aswell do some tinkering with it.

I was wondering, since i dont use it, is it possible to take out the CD/DVD drive out of the laptop completely and it still function? i only want to do it to make it a little light etc and i dont use it, obviously if its too hard and will break it i wont bother.

Assuming your model is a Mid 2010 Model A1278 / 2.4 or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, then check the Optical Drive Replacement Guide @ iFixit - :)

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
if I were you I would just sell your computer and buy a refurbished macbook air. You get a better computer for not much extra money and dont have to worry about losing your dvd drive and having that cause problems when you go to resell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.