Removing Cell Phone interference from audio

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by treehorn, May 26, 2009.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Longshot here but figured if anybody would know...

Working on a jazz club/cabaret performance in FCP. One track was from sound board, one was camera mic. On one of the numbers (of course the quiet, practically accapella number) there's interference from the idiot sitting up front next to the mic who thought that the 'turn off your cell phone' warning didn't apply to him. And of course at that moment the phone tried to pick up a signal or got a call and caused that lovely burst of interference...which lasts for about 20 seconds.

I doubt there's any way to get rid of it, since it's pretty broad spectrum. Soundsoap does nothing on it. Working with the AUGraphicEQ filter seems to indicate that it's in the same frequency range as the voice, so can't get rid of one without the other.

Just thought I'd see if anybody has found any solutions. Thanks!

2. MacRUK macrumors newbie

If your audio editor has a waveform indication, try cutting of the top and bottom spikes of the interference on the waveform.

Should make the interference less noticeable.

Or a vinyl record click reducer option.

3. SFXsource macrumors newbie

SFXsource

Since the cell phone noise is embedded in the audio at the same frequency as the voice then unfortunately your options are limited ... though the range of the cell phone is probably less than that of the voice so a notch EQ could be used to limit the noise

Or, since you two tracks, one from the board and one from the camera mic, you could pull down the camera mic track for those 20 seconds and then fade it back in after the noise is gone

4. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

OK...I'll admit it...this is the solution I thought was least likely as it is more a tone than a click. But...it worked. Especially when done with the addition of a little fiddling on the Frequency knob on Soundsoap.

Many thanks.