Removing ClamXav "infections"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Barney63, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I have run ClamXav and it found 43 items, 42 were phishing emails and the other 1 was Osx.Adware.Geonei-9.
    Non were put in the quarantine folder.
    I deleted the mail messages (finding them in Spotlight, opening them and then clicking the trash can on the left) but couldn't find the geonei file.
    I've rerun ClamXav and now it shows 85 infections, the 42 emails have been replicated for some reason rather than deleted!
    How do I get rid of them?

Barney

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

4. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Just curious, did you post in the ClamXav forum? Mark (and others) are very helpful there.

5. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Do you use Gmail? Perhaps your action thinking you are deleting the emails is instead archiving them. This is the default set up and unless you manually change it to "delete means delete" it would explain the emails still being found upon scanning.

6. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I'm using the mac Mail App.
    You are probably half right though, I will only be deleting them locally, not deleting them on my Bt Yahoo account (I keep all my messages there), so Mail will probably be looking at that account and reloading them.
    But why the duplicates and also when I search for them in spotlight they 'preview' if I hover my mouse above the search result, but if I click it it loads an empty email!. Does it create thumbnails or something?

Barney

7. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I checked out the ClamXav forum and followed the instructions for 'repairing' my Mail.
    I also followed a link for the removal of the Geneio Adware.
    I'm clean now :D

Barney