Removing Classic & Modern Band Screws

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JuNxXxReY, Apr 27, 2015.

1. JuNxXxReY macrumors regular

Sorry if this has been mentioned on here before, but I was wondering if anyone has tried taking out the screws in their classic or modern bands. Apparently, there are some screws and when removed may allow people to use 3rd party bands. I know there are adapters that will be available, but this just gives people more options. Please see picture for reference.

Attached Files:

2. gethappy macrumors newbie

I'm *going* to give this a try... *if* I ever get my 42mm BCB delivered...

3. JuNxXxReY thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone? There has to be someone on Macrumors that's done this. Inquiring minds would like to know. =)

4. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Huh. I imagine you'll need a special security screwdriver that can only be had through a contact at MI6 and the surrender of your passport.

5. JuNxXxReY thread starter macrumors regular

From what I understand, it's the same pentalobe screw as the ones on the iPhone.

6. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Those look terrible. Better to get a CLICK and your own band.

7. JuNxXxReY thread starter macrumors regular

8. rfbandit macrumors regular

rfbandit

Looks like the lovely Apple pentalobe screws. I have a set of pentalobe drivers that I should have delivered on Saturday. I'll attempt taking the strap off and report back then.

9. JuNxXxReY thread starter macrumors regular

10. JuNxXxReY thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to update everyone who was interested in the thread I started a few days ago. It looks like it is possible to take out the screws on a classic band and put a 3rd party one.

Source:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=221&v=G4m0EzQ9ziA

11. melb00m macrumors regular

Sorry to bump such an old thread. I tried to remove and replace the band from the original Apple Classic Buckle band. Unfortunately, those tiny China made pentalobe screwdrivers are of such horrid quality that they rounded the screw head and I don't get a grip on it any more.

Did anybody have the same problem and found a way to remove the screws nonetheless? And what size are those screws, so I can get some replacements?

12. ivandr macrumors regular

The pentalobe screws on the watch band are listed as one time use only... they are supposed to be discarded and new screws used if they are taken out. If you look on the notation next to the diagram for the screw on Page 8 you can see what I mean: https://developer.apple.com/watch/bands/Band-Design-Guidelines-for-Apple-Watch.pdf

13. melb00m macrumors regular

Thanks for your input. Now I at least know which replacement screws to buy if I manage to get the current ones out somehow. Any idea about that?

14. ivandr macrumors regular

Nope sorry, can't help there. I don't actually own any bands with that type of watch attachment (I have a couple sport bands and a link bracelet) so I haven't even seen those screws in person. If they're stripped and unable to come out I'm not really sure what if any options you've got :-/ Sorry!