Removing contact photos from Messages on iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by one8two, Sep 19, 2014.

1. one8two macrumors newbie

I've got my hands on the iPhone 6 Plus and I'm loving everything about it except the fact that I can't find a way to toggle contact photos in my Messages application on and off..

I don't know about others, but most of my contacts do not have photos attached to them and I think having everyone's initials next to their name looks stupid.

My question is, is there a way of removing contact photos/initials from the messages list in the Messages application?

2. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

I've posted on this elsewhere. I can't see a way to turn it off, either. I have one contact that has a photo and the rest are space wasting initials.:(

3. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

I was wondering the same...I have a few contact photos for people, but it doesn't look cohesive with pictures scattered about in my messages thread.

It also gives those nosey roseys a chance to see who's who.

4. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Somehow they missed this. Favorites have a switch but this one is on all the time. Ugh.

5. david Willls macrumors newbie

you should try below steps to removing contact photos from Messages on iPhone 6 Plus.
    Settings → Messages Make toggle Show Contact photos Off.
    steps to contact photos from Messages on iPhone 6 Plus.jpg
    All the best.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's a welcome option that was finally added in iOS 9.1, but wasn't present in iOS prior to that.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Slightly different topic....Am I nuts, or didn't there used to be an option in the Phone app to turn off the pics for favorites. I'm pretty sure that I used to keep that turned off, but I can't find an option to do that since iOS 9

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

There used to be that option there that was removed as of iOS 9 I think. They give some and they take some. ;)

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Strange that they would give us the option in messages, and take it away for favorites. Kinda makes me think that there was a different dev that wrote the two apps...(Phone and Messages), and they didn't bother talking to each other.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Agreed. Not to mention that the phone option was there for quite a while and then suddenly removed, right when the messaging option was finally added.