Removing contacts.. tips?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ApplePersonFreak, Feb 8, 2019.

1. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

So I created a thread when I first got my lenses for advice to put them in, I think that part I’ve mastered, but for some reason now it’s taking them out that’s been giving me fits. I stare at a computer screen all day at work so I’m sure my eyes dry out at some point in the day. When I go to take them out, they are hard as heck to remove because of the dryness I’m sure. I’ve tried the sliding the contact down towards the white of my eye technique, but it doesn’t want to budge.

There are quite a few techniques to removing them from what I’ve seen, and for me so far it’s been pinching them off my eye is the one that’s worked so far, but I’m curious on what your techniques are? Sometimes I’m afraid pinching would scratch my eye, but I make sure that I use my fingers only and don’t get my nails anywhere near there. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated!

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

In my experience removing is simple. No mirror and using either hand.

I’m confident you’ll find the technique that works for you in short time.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Get your eyes nice and wet first. Crying will accomplish this, so think of something very sad, or watch part of a movie you detest.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you can’t pinch them out with your fingers, try a pair of surgical tweezers. If that fails, I typically fall back on a grapefruit spoon.

5. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I suppose it's really all a matter of perspective. I've never thought of myself as removing the contacts; but rather the contacts removing me, and if I can share in that experience, so much the better.

Yep, this is why I keep an onion near my saline solution. I've only mistakenly rubbed onion on my contacts instead of saline, like, seven or eight times.

Another tried-and-true strategy. The grapefruit spoon is next to the onion next to the saline. I also use it to mix some delicious bathroom salsa when I'm done with the onion and other vegetables used to get ready in the morning. :)

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I opened this thread thinking it was about contacts on your iPhone.

As I’m quite squeamish about eyes I now feel quite sick! :eek:

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Whatever you do, DO NOT click on @AngerDanger's avatar and look at the animation. DO NOT do this.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

:rolleyes: Seems like an appropriate response!

9. simplynando macrumors 6502

simplynando

I use contacts and i have some pretty dry eyes, and I live in the desert full of dry heat which makes it even worse.
    I'm usually putting drops in my eyes about 2-3 times a day even if i'm only wearing glasses. Using drops before removing your lenses helps immensely. I can remove them without a mirror by just pinching them but this gives me a "suction cup" kind of feeling that i don't like.

I actually just get my thumb (my nails are always short) and lightly rest the flat bed of my nail on my eye right at the edge of the lens and then use my index to slide the lens onto my nail and just pick the lens up off of my eye. Kind of like peeling I guess you would say? It's a kind of slide/pinch method that feels most comfortable to me. I'm having a hard time trying to describe it. lol

I've shown this to my optometrists and they've all told me it's okay as long as you're careful/gentle.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    I didn't need to sleep tonight anyways. :eek:

10. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Passes AFB a virtual barf bag. Is there a thread that ease your squeamishness?

OP, tears are a great suggestion. Lubricate those eyes and lenses. Also deep breaths to relax yourself.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I’m looking at images of fluffy bunnies to help me calm down.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Oh dear.

I now expect @AngerDanger to show up and post animations of fluffy bunnies with googly kaleidoscope eyes.

I guess it could be worse.

13. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I think I need to unsubscribe to this thread before it gets worse!

14. jeyf macrumors 6502a

I would only pinch them out with my fingers. No other way is safe. bring up your concerns with the doctor, they should come out as expected.

15. ApplePersonFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

So today I put a bit of solution on my fingers and slid them to the side and they came out easily.. hoping that this is the method I can stick with. Luckily with me, I throw mine away anyways so it doesn’t really matter if it drops out of my eye.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Or read a bunch of @chown33 ‘s posts. :rolleyes: