Removing date info in iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DarkHeraldMage, Jan 9, 2008.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Morning all!

I'm a recent switcher, and a new lover of iPhoto. I've been inputting pictures slowly but surely, but one of the problems I'm running into is assorted photos that I personally didn't take. Some of these pictures were either scanned or taken on a digital camera years ago before EXIF data was as big, so dates are either wrong or not present at all.

What I'm wanting to know is how I can completely clear the date field from the EXIF data on my photos? I want to group all the pictures in various events, but I don't want them to all have incorrect dates listed. Any advise? Thanks.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You can batch change all the dates for the images in a group. I don't know how to remove the date completely though.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

4. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Yeah, I stumbled across the batch change. The problem is, I'd have to physically date the photos as something either early 1900's or late 2100's to put the pics at the front or end of all the events. And even then the event would show a bizarre date. I'm hoping there's a way.

I know in the dreaded Windows Vista that if you view the properties of an image you can elect to remove certain data from the EXIF fields, such as type of camera that took the picture and so forth, including date taken. I just don't want to move all my pictures over to Windows to do this.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Also, I think if you remove the EXIF date completely, it's just going to use the file creation date.

This is actually a big problem with iPhoto. I have a bunch of photos from Europe that my wife took, and she never set the date on her camera, so they all show up out of order next to my pictures. It's a huge project to go in and change all the dates. I got about halfway through and gave up.

6. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Exactly. I had to go through pictures from multiple cameras over a multiple day trip to Disney World and it took me days to align all the pictures to the approximately correct timeline. I want to avoid this in future instances. For instance, my college graduation party took place on one day, but pictures were taken by 5 different people, each with different dates and times on their cameras. I can do the batch change and set them all the the same date/time and that would be okay, but only because the event was on one day. When you have thousands of pictures collected over years when you don't remember their date taken, it'd be best just to blank out the random date in that field. I have some pictures that randomly seem to think they were taken in 2037. :p