Removing default apps like textedit, is it safe?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by André M, Jul 17, 2009.

1. André M macrumors member

Hello everybody on Mac Rumors!

I've been googling around lately and also searching on this forum, and I haven't found anything that answers my question.

Is there any problem with deleting default apps like textedit, quicktime, mail etc? Are they required by the OS or am I free to delete them and replace them?

Reason that I'm asking is that I'm replacing textedit with TextMate and I like all the free space that I can get.

Thanks for any answers given,

André

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

I wouldn't replace Quicktime - its a system component for file playback.

If you think you are going to run into hard drive space issues, either use external storage or get a bigger hard drive. You are not going to reclaim much by deleting programs like TextEdit.

3. André M thread starter macrumors member

Yeah quicktime I will probably keep, seeing as the plugin "peridan" makes different files play on it.

I've got an external HD but I don't like having more than 1 app for the same thing, and even though TextEdit is only a few megs, it's megs that are taking up disk space.

4. pbasser2 macrumors member

pbasser2

I deleted apple mail for leopard once and then found i wanted it later. lo and behold I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet and had to reload from someone else's computer cause I don't have the leopard disks. so if you do get rid of it make sure you have it backed up so you can get it if you decide later you need to.

5. André M thread starter macrumors member

Yeah ofcourse, I hardly do any removing without making a backup (if its something crucial and I'm uncertain) and I've still got the leopard disk at hand so thats not a problem.

But then, It's fine deleting things that aren't required by the OS? such as quicktime (as pdjudd) stated.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Most applications are very small in size. For example, TextEdit is only 22MB. It doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle to delete them for that little space.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

8. André M thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I know. As I said before though, I dislike having more than one application for one purpose.

@angelwatt: Thanks for the tips.

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Buy a bigger internal drive?

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

One day you'll delete something like this that shouldn't cause a problem, but it will. The reality is, you could delete practically all apps and not make a significant difference on disk space. If you really are so tight on disk space that 22MB makes a difference (any difference) then you have a much bigger problem and should fix it with a bigger disk. If the difference is, your freespace goes up from 40% to 40.0001% why bother, because you dont actually gain anything at all.

Seems to me a small but significant percentage of the problems on here are people pointlessly trying to 'tidy up' their systems, to remove files that take an insignificant (almost literally) amount of space, and breaking something in the process, at the time, or later when an updates 'expects' an application to be there.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

That's the important point for most built-in apps. No, the system shouldn't require TextEdit to work. But at some point an OS update may well try to update that app, and while it might not fail if the app isn't there, you're going to end up with a folder containing the updates or a broken app because pieces of it are missing.

So what may well happen is down the line you run an update which adds back parts of that app and don't notice, leaving you with clutter of broken half-apps rather than just clutter of apps you don't want. Even more annoying would be if the default somehow ended up back at the broken app.

None of this will break your system, but it seems like trading a small cosmetic annoyance now for a potentially bigger one down the line.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You won't gain much. And there's no point in saving a few MBs when today's hard drives are measure in GBs and gradually going into TBs.

13. André M thread starter macrumors member

Alright, seems this has turned into a discussion of how I won't gain much disk space by removing apps of such a small size.

As i've said, twice before, I KNOW. I just don't like stacking apps that share the same purpose for ex. I only have 1 web browser, 1 music player, 1 movie player etcetera.

The purpose of this topic was to find out if there would be any problems with deleting such default apps.

Since this topic has, in my eyes, derailed, I think it would be best to close it.

Thanks.

14. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I just put all of the apps I don't use into a folder so I don't have to look at them/acknowledge them.

15. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I wouldn't delete them unless you do a time machine backup before because if for some reason you need them later, you won't be able to get them back unless you buy pacifist and get them off your OS X install disk.

16. pdjudd macrumors 601

But why? You gain absolutely nothing by deleting the programs - If you want a good reason not to, is because you never know when you might need them or can never anticipate Apple expecting you to have them. If you don't want to use them, tale them off of your dock and associate other programs with them. Its like they never were there before hand.

There is no need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

17. André M thread starter macrumors member

Because I can't stand having multiple apps that have the same purpose as another one. One thing I would and am considering is making a folder to put the apps i dont use and putting them on another HD.

It's how I like thing to be on my computers, 1 app for 1 purpose.

18. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Well don't come whining here when something breaks in a future update because you wre the one in ten thousand people that deleted an 'ordinary' app that later got updated partially and was then used in a subsequent update that broke something else. Or something like that, that will end up taking you 3 months to work out why some other component doesn't work..
    Didnt your mother every tell you 'stop picking it or it will never get better" ?

19. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Use Quicksilver?

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

OSX is not windows. OSX has no registry, and thus having 1000 apps installed in OSX (if they are not running) won't impact the performance of the Mac OS, unlike windows.

There are really no point to delete the default, as they are small. But feel free to use other type of apps.

21. André M thread starter macrumors member

*Sigh* All I wanted was an answer to my question, not people arguing against me removing or moving the app.

Thanks for the "rant" however.

22. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Okay, here's a straight answer. Moving or Deleting default apple apps can cause problems down the road when installing apple updates since if the update cannot find the apps it is looking for it may cause problems.

23. André M thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! However, backing up the apps, lets take textedit since it has been the source app for this discussion, to an external HD and then moving it back, if it would get an update, that would go around the whole "update problem" right?

24. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Sure, you could potentially put all the deleted apps back before installing any updates, install the updates, and then delete them again after the update.

25. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I like using many different apps that are supposed to do the same thing, as most times a certain app does something better in one area than another.
    It is a great way to beat Murphy's ass when problems arise exporting something or other problems that occur.
    Tools are different for a reason, one app, and only one app to do something really opens you up to being at that apps mercy.
    My 2 Cents.