Removing Desktop Backgrounds in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by labacia, Aug 6, 2011.

1. labacia macrumors newbie

Just got Lion and I love it! I was going through the desktop backgrounds and I want to have a random cycle - problem is, I don't want all of them in the folder. The new Lion backgrounds are real cool, but I'd like to filter out the more abstract-design looking ones.

Can anyone give me tips on removing select desktop backgrounds or making it to where I can throw all the pictures I like in a new folder or something?

Much thanks!

2. Rowf macrumors regular

In Lion there should be a folder called Folders showing on the left side in Preferences - Desktop.
    Use the drop-down arrow and it will show a subfolder called Pictures.
    This is the pictures folder in your home folder.

Go to Library - Desktop Pictures
    Copy the background pictures that you want.
    Paste them into the Pictures folder and use that as your default background folder.
    Tick the option for Random Cycle and away you go :)

3. labacia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply - I'm with you up until finding library. I've read about library on google but I can't find it on my MBP with Lion. I even searched for Library in spotlight, and nothing.

Then I looked it up on youtube and I had to press command+shift+G to get the 'go to folder' to come up and then I had to press ~/Library to get there. But now that I'm there, there's no "Desktop Pictures" folder in Library. I've tried all the folders and can't find anything.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. It's bugging me that something this simple is stumping me!!!

4. WytRaven, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

WytRaven macrumors 6502

Thre's no need to stuff around with Library or any of that. Create a folder somewhere (inside Pictures would make sense), put your backgrounds in it then open up System Preferences, select Desktop & Screensaver, make sure you are on the Desktop tab then hit the "+" icon and browse for your folder.

See the screenshot attached. Here I have 4 matching wallpapers in a folder called "miss A Wallpapers". With the settings I have here Mac OS will switch to another picture in the miss A Wallpapers folder every 30 minutes.

By the way. As you seem to want to play around with the original backgrounds provided by Apple they can be found in "/Library/Desktop Pictures/". Use Ctrl+Shift+G and type in the previous path (minus the quotes of course) to get there quickly. I would suggest for your sanity that you copy the pictures you want out of there and into your own folder (in Pictures) rather than playing around in the system level Library folder itself.

Attached Files:

5. Rowf macrumors regular

Okay, if you can't find your Desktop Pictures folder try it this way.

Go to your Pictures folder and create a new folder for the backgrounds that you want.
    Open up System Preferences and go to Desktop & Screensaver.
    Select the picture that you want (you have to do it one picture at a time)
    Go to the Menu bar in System Preferences and select Edit and then Copy from the dropdown menu.
    Paste the selected picture in to your newly created folder in the Pictures folder.
    Go through this procedure until you have all the pictures you want copied into your new folder.

When your happy with your selected pictures and they are in your new folder go back to the Desktop & Screensaver Preference.
    Highlight the Pictures folder and then click the + button to navigate to your new folder and add it to the available folders on the sidebar.

If you want to view your library folder in Finder - go to Finder Preferences and make sure that "your Mac' is ticked under Devices.
    Library will then be viewable by clicking on the Macintosh HD icon in Finder.