Removing Developer Tools?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by safetyobc, Dec 28, 2007.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I installed the developer tools, just because I wanted to see what they were and goof around.

How do I remove them now? Just drag the developer folder to the trash?

Thanks

2. rhyndu macrumors regular

Yup. Just drag the file to the Trash. Don't worry about anything. It. Just. Works. Sometimes.

Mach is so amazing.

~~~

JK. Yes, to completely remove them though, you might want to do a quick look in ~/Library/ and look for the names of Dev apps - someone want to verify if they store stuffs in there?:D

3. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

dragging the developer folder to the trash doesnt uninstall everything. theres still lots of files left over in the main library and the system library.

open the "About Xcode Tools" pdf in the developer folder and search for "uninstall". theres a few unix commands there that will do the trick. use the terminal in the utilities folder to exceute these commands. make sure you type them correctly. the safest way is to copy and paste them but dont copy the dollar sign.

5. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I copy and pasted that and it says "No such file or directory"

6. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Drag the applications into something like AppZapper. This will also grab all the related preferences and files that can take up a lot of disk space.

Not the above isn't necessary, it's only if you want to do a "full" uninstall to gain back disk space.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats because those commands use a shell script thats in the developer folder. if youve already deleted it then dont worry. if you want to delete every file that the developer tools installs i can send you the script if you want.

well if your a neat freak like me and want to remove every file that dev tools installed and get all your disk space back then the unix commands are the best bet.

8. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I would appreciate the code.

But I haven't deleted it. The folder is still there.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the shell script is called uninstall-devtools and is in /Developer/Library. double clicking on it wont work. make sure you put the developer folder back where it was and then try the unix commands in the XCode pdf again they should work. i uninstalled the tiger dev tools before leopard came out to gain some disk space using this method as i knew leopard would have new dev tools.

10. fenderbenderr45 macrumors newbie

syntax

please explain what i should do with this unix command cuz it no work

sudo <Xcode directory>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

open the About XCode Tools.pdf in the Developer folder and read "Uninstalling Xcode 3.0 Developer Tools" very carefully. are you sure you highlighted the unix command properly? did you exclude the $ sign?

12. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I tried the code and it didn't work for me either. I read the .pdf, I entered the code (minus the $ sign). Nothing.

I just dragged the folder into the trash for now.

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

hmm i didnt look at the command properly as i used it a while ago. try replacing "<Xcode directory>" with "/Developer"

i assume they wrote it like that for power users who have different setups with the developer tools installed in a different directory. sorry i missed that!!

14. reaganjh macrumors newbie

Hi, I did exactly the same thing and installed it just to see what it was. Now I want to uninstall it and yes I am a neat freak like you and want it completely rid of... I tried the scripts and they don't work! :(

I tried that last way you mentioned
    sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

and got this...

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
    or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
    typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

So then I tried to type my password and it wouldn't let me type anything in it... Please help! This is bugging me. I want it off because I don't even (know how to) use it.

15. looopass macrumors newbie

you are typing, but what you typed doesn't show up

If I am right, the system doesn't even show a '*' when you type. but you are actually typing. I tried that script before, and it worked for my uninstallation of the XCode...Howevery, why do you want to remove your XCode? I think that's the easiest way to get things like gcc on Leopard...

16. reaganjh macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks. I posted this in the programming section and managed to get some help and fix it.

I don't even know what "gcc" is?!!!?!? hahah now see why I want to remove it? I was just messing about on it (not understanding a thing).

17. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

I must say uninstalling MS Visual Studio is much easier. Yikes! :eek:

--Erwin

18. dangerdrew111 macrumors newbie

I still don't have a resolution to this problem...

Sure glad you guys seem to have figured it out. I have no idea what you are talking about. HOW do I get this stuff off my computer? I need you to be MUCH more clear about what you are talking about, because I am totally lost. It took me an hour to even figure out what a terminal window is. So can you PLEASE EXPLAIN the steps you are talking about?

I got to the same step as reaganjh a couple posts back... I entered:
    sudo <Xcode directory>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all
    into the terminal window, and got the same error.

So then you guys start talking about '*'s... and then you are happy that the problem is resolved... What??? What did I miss, because I have no clue what you are talking about. Please help me, and please explain clearly what you are talking about because I am totally lost.

19. reaganjh macrumors newbie

Open terminal and paste this:

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

Then it should ask for your password. Type it in (it will not show up that anything is typing). That is what I did! It should work for you.

20. dangerdrew111 macrumors newbie

problem solved!

Ok, awesome, it finally worked! THANK YOU! Sorry I was a bit frustrated yesterday, but I just couldn't figure out what the problem was. For those of you not clear, the answer is: when you type your password, there will be no visual indicator to let you know that your keyboard inputs are registering, but they ARE. Type in your password, even though it looks like nothing is happening, then hit "return", and it'll work. :D

But, curiously, my terminal today didn't even try to give me the "warning: improper use of the sudo code... ..." message today. Not sure what changed, but it seems like it did things differently today. :confused: