Removing Disk Partition

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Raymen, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Raymen macrumors member

Raymen

I have an Ibook G3 (white dual usb). Recently I get messages, nearly every day, saying the startup disk is full. The only way to solve this is to have a clear out with onyx and then restart. Then I have about 256mb free. However I have a second partition sat there doing nothing with 9gb free. I want to get rid of this and just have the one start up disk.

How can I go about this?
    As a note, I still have my osx disks.

Cheers
    R

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If you're running Leopard, you can do it from Disk Utility. If, however, you're still on Tiger or earlier, there's no official way to re-size partitions without doing a complete wipe and re-install.

There is a third-party utility called iPartition which can, in theory, resize Tiger and earlier volumes on the fly, but I've seen it cause problems in the past, so be wary and make sure you have an up-to-date full backup before trying it.

3. Raymen thread starter macrumors member

Raymen

yeah it's tiger... not enough power for leopard! (only a 500mhz ppc !)

So I just stick the disk in and it will boot from the disk (or the first disc, as osx is on about 10 cd's... no dvd drives back then :eek:), or is there some magic command I need to use. (sorry but I have never had to do any thing like this with a mac, I am a longstanding soon to be ex pc user.. )

cheers

r

4. Raymen thread starter macrumors member

Raymen

Well I am still stumped! I did a new reinstall of tiger from the original disks, and the only options the install gave me where to either install, or format and install on one of the two partitions. I tryed every combination to find a 'delete partition' option and still nothing.

Now all I have managed to do is put the os back to a much earlier version of 10.4 and stop my wireless working :mad:.

I still cannot find a way to delete a partition in tiger ... so please haaaalp !

cheers

r

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Can't you open Disk Utility in the menus when starting from the install disks? You should be able to remove the partitions with it. This will also deleted all the data on the disk.

6. Raymen thread starter macrumors member

Raymen

Thanks I found it ... it was late... I was tired... what can I say..

Now I just need to figure out how to get 10.4 back on as I'm currently on 10.0 and it's aggrivating me... :rolleyes: