removing ".ds store" icon on desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fairlyg, Apr 16, 2009.

1. fairlyg macrumors newbie

How I made it appear there I dont know. I followed Mac's website advice on keeping the ".ds_store" files from being created again but am still left with an icon on the desktop. If I put it in the trash, it reappears, with a copy left in the trash. If I try to put it into something else, a message pops up saying it "cannot be replaced because it is invisible." Anybody else ever see this or have advice??:confused:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

3. fairlyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...but it won't leave

Im did as you mentioned, actually I downloaded the Show/Hide File software which seemed way too easy. The .ds_store is still on the desktop. Also, when I use Finder to look around, I see a ".localized", a ".cups" a ".CFUser textEncoding" and it made my trash into ".trash"

What the heck did I do last night?

4. fairlyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, I did hide them all

I finally went thorough terminal and did the kill all finder routine. But what would of made all those little files show up?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

so "killall Finder" (relaunches the Finder process) did the trick? maybe you inadvertently enabled hidden files with an applications and you didnt notice? im not sure.

6. alexoben macrumors newbie

I bet you this is what happened:

Somehow you had hidden files set to show
    Your desktop froze (not finder entirely, just your desktop. happens to me a lot)
    When you disabled hidden files, they appeared to still be there.

Killing finder would restart the desktop.