Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Okay “proof” is loosely used here.

But I was playing an Apple Arcade game in landscape (well two actually) and the black pill shape is incredibly interruptive, even more so than a notch because you see the little bit on the other side of the hole.

This all renders games to look much more terrible, and the island is such an eyesore.

So why is it “proof” that dynamic island will be gone soon… well, because they could accomplish the dynamic island purely through software, so when you play games and such, it will be truly full screen.

Whether it’s behind the glass camera, or something else… I really don’t think the island will last.

It’s so terrible for landscape movies or games, that I can only surmise that this was a stepping stone to move to a full screen… and thus create a very strong reason to buy the latest and greatest iPhone.

I don’t know, of course this is a piss poor argument, but it does seem like the dynamic island is ripe to be removed in the near future.

Either that, or Apple just doesn’t care about how the user experience is and knows people will buy whatever.

🤷‍♂️

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I don't want to sound mean, but ... of course? I mean isn't it obvious (especially from what other manufacturers are doing) that getting rid of the cutout / notch is what they're currently trying to accomplish in the display area?

That's been what they've done over the past five or so years starting the iPhone X's notch. It got smaller with the 13 and turned into the cutout with the 14 Pro. Naturally they'll try to get rid of it as soon as they've found a way to implement Face ID (or whatever its successor may be) and the front camera without the necessity for a cutout in the display.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It’s so terrible for landscape movies or games, that I can only surmise that this was a stepping stone to move to a full screen… and thus create a very strong reason to buy the latest and greatest iPhone.
I guess it could be a problem for games if the game developer doesn’t use the safe area of the screen. Movies don’t overlap it unless you manually zoom in on the movie which crops the top and bottom of the movie image. Not sure why you would do that. I have heard that some oddball extra wide videos do overlap but I haven’t run across any of them.

As @John981 said, Apple is clearly working on eventually moving all of those camera, sensor, and faceid components to under the screen but the tech is not there yet so they have to do it incrementally. In the meantime most people find that, just like a banner ad, their eyes soon learn to ignore it and focus on more important parts of the screen.

How long has it been since you noticed your nose? You have to close one eye and look at the side to see your nose. It’s always there but you just learn to ignore it.

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I guess it could be a problem for games if the game developer doesn’t use the safe area of the screen. Movies don’t overlap it unless you manually zoom in on the movie which crops the top and bottom of the movie image. Not sure why you would do that. I have heard that some oddball extra wide videos do overlap but I haven’t run across any of them.

As @John981 said, Apple is clearly working on eventually moving all of those camera, sensor, and faceid components to under the screen but the tech is not there yet so they have to do it incrementally. In the meantime most people find that, just like a banner ad, their eyes soon learn to ignore it and focus on more important parts of the screen. How long has it been since you noticed your nose? You have to close one eye and look at the side to see your nose. It’s always there but you just learn to ignore it.
Eyes adjust yes. But part of my point (which may not have been explicit or clear) is that the notch was much better at hiding vs. the dynamic island because with the island you see part of the game on the other side of the notch, but with the notch you don’t.

DanRO

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
I like the pill more than the notch, yes more in your face, but more up to date and oh yas, face id is a must. I ve seen all my friends struggle with unlocking their Android phones with the fingerprint reader, no matter if on the screen or on the side button.
Best use for the fingerprint reader was on the old phones that had the front home button.
So, pill cutout or no face id, I think we both know what you’d choose since you have an Iphone.

Reactions: addamas and JM

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I like the pill more than the notch, yes more in your face, but more up to date and oh yas, face id is a must. I ve seen all my friends struggle with unlocking their Android phones with the fingerprint reader, no matter if on the screen or on the side button.
Best use for the fingerprint reader was on the old phones that had the front home button.
So, pill cutout or no face id, I think we both know what you’d choose since you have an Iphone.
Yes I do like Face ID better and I never think about a locked phone at all.

Except when my face is too far away.

But… I think I would go back to touchID if it meant a completely open screen.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I don't want to sound mean, but ... of course? I mean isn't it obvious (especially from what other manufacturers are doing) that getting rid of the cutout / notch is what they're currently trying to accomplish in the display area?

That's been what they've done over the past five or so years starting the iPhone X's notch. It got smaller with the 13 and turned into the cutout with the 14 Pro. Naturally they'll try to get rid of it as soon as they've found a way to implement Face ID (or whatever its successor may be) and the front camera without the necessity for a cutout in the display.

They would still need a cutout for a front-facing camera, though, unless they just make the top bezels thicker. So still some sort of a “black spot” will remain there for a while, I guess.

Reactions: JM

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
This all renders games to look much more terrible, and the island is such an It’s so terrible for landscape movies or games, that I can only surmise that this was a stepping stone to move to a full screen… and thus create a very strong reason to buy the latest and greatest iPhone.
If you’re watching films on a mobile phone screen then you don’t really care about the viewing experience anyway. A ‘pill’ is neither here nor there.

Reactions: DanRO
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.