Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Are all of these folders containing drivers I can delete or do some contain other files I should not delete? BTW, I have the Lexmark X73 printer, so I would keep that folder.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 174

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Always going to use that X73? I think not. It would be more of a pain to re-install them than the tiny amount of storage would be worth.

There have to be much bigger, much more useless things to delete.

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
bigboy99 said:
Deleting these folders won't gain you much territory. Drivers are very small.
My printers driver folder was in excess of 1.3 gigs before I deleted it. This was from a fresh OS X install btw. The folder doesn't just contain drivers, but also print utlities, scanner applications, etc. It's completely safe to delete everything in that folder however. I just kept around drivers for my personal printer at home.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
toneloco2881 said:
It's completely safe to delete everything in that folder however.

OK.. so it is safe, but is it wise? What would happen when I get a new printer? Could I just download a driver off of the manufacturer's site and be ready to go?

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Printer drivers take a huge amount!!

bigboy99 said:
Deleting these folders won't gain you much territory. Drivers are very small.

I think you need to go through OS X's install and see what a difference it makes. When I re-install OS, I ALWAYS make a custome install - I get rid of languages, printers and other crap I don't need. If you find you need a GB or more freed up, save ur work externally and clean re-install OS X.

toneloco2881 said:
My printers driver folder was in excess of 1.3 gigs before I deleted it. This was from a fresh OS X install btw. The folder doesn't just contain drivers, but also print utlities, scanner applications, etc. It's completely safe to delete everything in that folder however. I just kept around drivers for my personal printer at home.

Cancel ALL extra crap on the install - not afterwards, if you have a proper 'Mac compatible' printer, install the driver with the enclosed CD.

FireArse

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Are any of these folders in the attachment in the thread starter necessary for printing? Or do I just need my Lexmark X73 folder? (that is the printer I use)

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
If I uncheck "enable disk use" after I transfer the files, what will happen to the files next time I update my iPod?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.