Removing extra Windows entry in Bootloader

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tmacfan4321, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

How can I delete an unusable windows entry in my bootloader? Is there any direct way to do this?

I don't have an extra NTFS partition, so I don't know why this is happening.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you post a screenshot of what your partition table does look like? It seems like W7 sometimes adds an extra FAT32 partition on some installs.

B

3. Tmacfan4321 thread starter macrumors regular

In W7 or OS X?

Edit: Here you go:

[​IMG]

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Interesting. My guess is that the bootloader is seeing one of the gpt or unallocated space as a bootable FAT.

Does it look the same in os x and what is the second drive? Is it an ssd or Ed card? Can you remove it temporarily?

B

5. Tmacfan4321 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, when I installed Windows 7, I had to remove the SSD and use the optical drive for the install. There was only one bootloader entry after I removed the SSD.

Here's a short explanation of my setup: I have an SSD (the 46 GB drive with the HFS+ partition named "Snow Leopard/D:") that is my main system drive for OS X. I have a 500GB HDD in my optical bay with the partitions "E:" (media files) and "BOOTCAMP (C: )."

Would the fact that I had rEFIt installed before have any effect on this? I removed all of its stuff from my system files, but I don't know what else it could have done.

Is there no direct way to edit the bootloader's entries? Is EFI something that just detects things that are bootable options automatically at startup?

Once I get home, I'll just boot into GParted off of a liveUSB and check everything out. I don't know if there's stuff that EFI is seeing that OS X and Windows aren't.