removing file vault

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tkjazzer, Apr 29, 2009.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I'm running 10.4.11 on my MBP and I only have a few gigs of HD left. I hate file vault and wish I never turned it on. Someone told me I need to remove file vault before upgrading OS. Also I was told I need a lot of free space to remove file vault. Is this true?

Thanks,

2. Izzy macrumors member

You shouldn't have to get rid of file vault to upgrade the operating system. You will need a lot of hard drive space to turn it off. If I remember correctly, it will tell you how much space you need when you try to turn it off.

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Out of curiosity, why do you hate it? It can do a decent job of protecting your files against prying eyes, and it doesn't have any substantial performance impact on modern machines.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

To turn it off, you need as much free disk space as your home folder takes up, and then some.

You need to switch it off before upgrading to Leopard, because Leopard uses a different format to store the encrypted home folder, which works far better with Time Machine. You then turn it back on after upgrading. You don't have to turn it off to upgrade, but it's a very good idea to do so.

5. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

two years later. I still haven't upgraded because of the dreaded filevault.

Why do I hate it? it's annoying to delete files, it's annoying that it is has this upgrade bug that is ruining my MBP experience.

I've cleared about 40 gigs, but I need to clear about 60 more gigs before I can remove firevault. I'm struggling to figure out a way to remove 60 more gigs... but I'm trying.

I figure I'll be able to get the next 60 gigs removed in the next 2-3 months and will finally be able to turn it off an update. By then Lion will be out...

6. Mav3067 macrumors member

A cheap external HD will solve your problem. Transfer the files in your home directory (or just enough to clear the space you need) to the external, erase them from your HD and then turn off file vault. Once file vault is off, transfer files back to your HD and upgrade.

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Yeah, well, FileVault sucks, but Lion should fix that. Apple aren't perfect :(